My career is stagnant

Current Employee - Claims Associate IV  in  Mountlake Terrace, WA
Current Employee - Claims Associate IV in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Flexible hours, asking for time off is not a struggle, telecommuting, no micro managing, easy and fast commute, ability to listen to music as you work

Cons

Good luck advancing at a normal rate if you're not related to someone in upper management. Sure, there are great opportunities throughout the company, but doesn't mean you actually have a good chance of getting them.

Reward your employee with something more than jamba juice. Recognize people who actually do good work consistently without having to kiss everyone's behind/be related to someone in a higher position. I'm tired of hearing what a great job we do and getting terrible raises. Then to hear the CEO made $$$$$$$$ in bonuses while we all get 2% raises for our outstanding work is bull.

Other Reviews for Premera Blue Cross

The most dysfunctional IT department I've ever worked in.

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Ample free parking - if you got there before 8:30am. The mission statement and philosophy focused on the customer, the people we insured. Many of the people I worked with both on the Business side and in IT - this was not a large segment of the population due to the lack of accountability that is so wide spread there.

Cons

I've been working in IT for twenty years and I've seen a lot but this by far is the most dysfunctional IT Department I've ever worked in. There is NO Leadership with vision and strategy alignment with the business units. The mismanagement in the Leadership ranks is frightening. It appears they all came from failed companies or were shed by downsizing. There are so many former WaMu people there they could rename it WaMu II. Most of the line staff walks around gleefully unaccountable for producing anything, coming in late and leaving early and socializing most of the day away. There are a lot of people riding on the backs of the few that are working hard there. My advice, if you’re in the IT profession, don’t come here.

Clean house in IT Leadership from the CIO down or just outsource it all. Provide real vision and leadership to the IT masses so they can work up to their real potential and not languish in the backwaters of IT.

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Contractor  in  Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Contractor in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Good food and prices offered in building 4 cafeteria.

Cons

Cut out middle management, look at the processes in place. You want to save paper, but you aren't utilizing the phone to get answers. Just sending out letters that document you made contact with the insurance applicants. It's wasting time, to people who clearly need coverage sooner not later. You have contractors telling other contractors what there job and duties are. This is causing errors and mistakes and mismanagement of the contractors to not perform as well as they could be - if they were managed by Premera permanent employees. It is not a fair situation. If I had known I never would have taken the position. It ended abruptly with a lack of consideration from middle management not even
    having the decency to explain why. It left me cold. I can only wonder the impact of how the customers who look for getting health insurance here feel. There is a disconnect here from management, Premera employees and the contractors brought in. This could be more successful, but it fails because you don't counsel the temps as to what is being done incorrectly. You just remove them and don't tell them why.

If a worker is not counseled to correct what is not satisfactory, it is not a very kind situation. I felt the contractors who had been there longer were running the show. And middle management wasn't seeing behind the scenes as how the work flow was being directed. There were times it didn't make sense what we were being asked to do. And it may have been misconstrued. Advice to management is stop sending all those letters and make some phone calls to get documentation sooner to approve and process applications from the public. Have a group phone line for people to call to know the status of their applications, as well as email. There is a bottle neck there and it doesn't have to be that way.
    Lastly, talk to people and let them know they are about to lose their job and why. I ended up feeling used and discarded after I got a phone call that this had been my last day. Your company should be handling this with more class. And not a "let the screen door slam on your way out". I worked hard to accomplish my work and never got any thanks or recognition for it. Even if I was the worst worker, I don't think you should treat people that way. I guess I know better now. But people at the top at Premera, take a closer look at how the middle managers are performing their jobs. It leaves a bad taste.

There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross.

Worked for Premera Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!