There are newer employer reviews for Preqin

Enjoyable but work can be repetitive

Former Employee - Research Analyst in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Research Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Preqin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good working hours (for City)
- Friendly teams
- Reasonable targets and schedules
- Deadlines are easy to meet
- Young professionals often recent graduates

Cons

- Research work can be very repetitive
- Not a great deal of promotions or pay rises
- Not very innovative or focused on creativity
- High turnover rate compared to average in the industry
- Pay level is low for industry and compared to the average in the City of London

Advice to Management

- Let employees share more new ideas and suggestions
- Make more and better company team building days and socials
- Engage in deeper numerical analysis such as modelling and time series data

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Awesome Job and Experience

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm in the NYC office (in a sales capacity) so can't speak for London or Singapore, but seems like things might not be too great on the London Research side considering all of the Glassdoor reviews that are negative seem to come from them...(how can you say it is good working hours and thengive 1 star for work-life balance?!?!) Anyway, on our side of the pond everyone is young, hungry and moves fast. Our company is always looking to hire, and people come from a diverse variety of both academic, geographic, and professional backgrounds. Office has no turnover besides 1 or 2 rare cases, and is growing rapidly. Hiring more senior positions and outside people allowing our culture to strengthen and move past our growth stage. Lots of support from senior management, team leaders, great compensation, no strenuous work hours, flexible time, easy to meet projects/goals and deadlines.

Cons

A lot of the key functions on research, finance and HR are in London, so sometimes getting pertinent research and data to clients can be lagged based on the time differences. Could imagine research's job could be tedious/monotonous, but you have the opportunity to be published and cited in a wide variety of financial press, which always good to mention on a resume.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring across all facets of the company, we are truly the best so let's do everything to not lose customers because someone has a better interface or functionality!

Also Dissatisfied Research Analyst

Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin

Pros

Benefits, vacation, flexibility and banter

Cons

I'm not going to go into any details about my own experience for fear of any tension of giving myself away, but I want to say that I agree with that harsh Jan 23, 2015 review for the most part and it's really not that misleading, although I don't agree with everything. I'm pretty dissatisfied here as a Research Analyst, and it's not a very motivating environment. The response to that Jan 23 review (which probably was management) I think really mistook what that person was trying to say. They don't want to get hammered at 1 PM and I doubt they really are on Reddit half the day, it's more that the team dynamic and motivation and taking pride in your work and actually feeling like you matter as an individual just isn't there and it isn't up to just one person on the bottom to change it to make things more enjoyable. Even with a promotion, the work wouldn't be that stimulating, the senior roles aren't much more challenging. There's just not enough mix-up in the work and gets really boring (which is actually something they mentioned in the interview process as something you need to be okay with and be able to make yourself stay motivated with mundane repetitive tasks, so they did tell us that- they told me and I've heard them say it on the phone interviews but maybe not everyone got that line) Management needs to take a different philosophy in how they treat research and look at them as individuals who actually want career development and not just information inputters. That's all I'll say on that, I think I had fairly decent understanding of the job when I was taking it on because I wasn't exceptionally picky as being someone straight out of college and looking for a job in the city. But that being said, things are alright for me because I'm self-motivated and have goals outside of here and am not looking to stay too long here and become a Preqin career employee.

Advice to Management

It is a "Research Analyst" role. If it isn't analytical and isn't really purely research orientated I would suggest changing the job titles, I wasn't as misled about the job, but that is a misleading label to have "analyst".