Presbyterian Homes and Services

There are newer employer reviews for Presbyterian Homes and Services

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Presbyterian Homes and Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Residents were wonderful; some co-workers were as well

Cons

Management was very dysfunctional - in short, they 'walk the talk' only with the residents of their facilities - as an employer, they are like any other mid-size corporation - all about money. Lots of corporate politics.

'Walk the talk' with employees as well as residents. Treat non-exempt staff with the respect you sometimes show to exempt employees. Toss out the bad apples instead of keeping them, in fear of lawsuit - document, document, document and then FIRE the bad apples. A LOT of good people leave because of your poor management/HR decisions re: bad apples.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Presbyterian Homes and Services (View Most Recent)

Love my career here

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for PHS for almost 5 years. At the end of 2014 I was approached by another organization with an excellent opportunity to grow in my career in a different way and so I took it. I was there only a few months when I realized how special it was to work at Presbyterian Homes and Services and how much I missed it. My co-workers were truly like family to me. The Christian ministry, the ability to make a true impact on so many lives and the commitment to improvement are all things that I didn't realize I would miss so much. When I was approached to return to PHS I jumped at the chance. Not only does this organization constantly strive to be better, but it also truly wants to see it's employees grow and provides opporunities to do so. I have witnsesed first hand many times over PHS' commitment to promoting from within. I cannot recommend PHS enough.

Cons

No organization is perfect, and PHS has it's share of growth opportunities. Being in the non-profit healthcare sector is especially challenging financially to PHS. If your goal is to make as much money as possible and have the highest salary in your field, then a non-profit organization such as this is not for you. PHS also has grown rapidly and is quite large and spread out, which causes challenges in application of policies and standard procedures. Recruiting and onboarding are particular challenges due to the largely decentralized processes. All of these things are top priorities for the organization and I have faith that they will continue to work to improve and get better.

Continue to see to be a leader in this sector. Do not forget that employers are our most important asset and continue to find ways to honor them and help them to grow and improve at all levels.

Presbyterian Homes and Services Response

Dec 18, 2014Clinical Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback!

Too many middle managers, benefits, hours, and pay decreased, clueless upper management

Current Employee - Nurse in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Nurse in Arden Hills, MN

Pros

Good place to begin a nursing career as far as nursing goes. There are many medical skills that you will gain competency at. Enjoyed working with the staff and residents, as well as the families. The hours are good and staffing is willing to work with you (expect a call on pretty much all of your days off).

Cons

All of the allocation of money goes to new buildings. They build palatial spaces for elderly people to live in, and they do not staff them. It is depressing to see the elderly get ripped off in this manner (they pay a crazy amount to live there). I think they would prefer more people around to help them over a fancy place to live.
    There are so many middle managers (clinical coordinators and administrators) yet, they are never around to help when you need them. They are around however, to tell you the same thing the last three managers you interacted with told you.
    When you bring your concerns to management they just tell you what they think you want to hear and do nothing or very little to fix problems. It is clear that they are content with maintaining the status quo and not looking for workable solutions to the vast array of problems that go along with caring for the elderly.
    The staff randomly gets their hours cut, the pay is not great, the benefits are terrible. It feels as if they want people to work there at bare minimum and they are not interested in taking care of their employees, and increasingly it feels as if they do not care about taking care of their residents.
    I used to be proud to work at Pres Homes, but now I feel embarrassed to work for a company that takes advantage of it's employees and residents the way that Pres homes does.

Please come out of your offices and work with the people more. I have never met any upper management and I've been a nurse for over 3 years. It is clear that they have no clue what is happening in the trenches, or they would be ashamed. Also, stop building palaces, it is false advertising. Instead, work on what we started off to do, CARING for the elderly. This means to provide great care of people, not scaling back staff to bare bones and ripping off residents with false promises. Pres homes is a non-profit that has the attitude of a for profit corporation in that all it cares about is expansion and money. Unfortunately, the money does not go into the care of people.

There are newer employer reviews for Presbyterian Homes and Services