Pride Mobility Products

www.pridemobility.com

A fast paced interesting place to work, where I learn something new everyday.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Exeter, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, PA

Pros

You feel a part of something meaningful, because you are helping people with disabilities have more independence. I've also met so many amazing friends and people within and outside the company.

Cons

At times, you may get lost in the shuffle of so many employees and because it's a fast paced environment, it can feel overwhelming.

For new employees, a better structured training regimen would be good. More time with using the system and going over all the products.

Other reviews for Pride Mobility Products

We've got more cuts than a butcher.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Exeter, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Exeter, PA

Pros

Knowing the products make a difference in the lives of so many people is an awesome feeling. It makes you want to perform at your best because you don't want to let them down. We've often asked ourselves, "What if this wheelchair or scooter was for my grandmother?" Who wouldn't make a kick butt product after asking themselves that? I've grown a-lot with this company, learned many important job skills, and have advanced my career here. I have learned from many brilliant people who have worked here over the past 2 decades.
    The CEO is definitely driven to succeed and shares his passion with every employee.
    There is a true family atmosphere among the employees at Pride.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of those brilliant people have moved on or been forced out by the politics. Most of the weasels who forced them out or stepped on their heads to advance are still there. The advancement opportunities are long gone, unless you're in the good ole boys club. A lack of organizational discipline over the past 2 decades is really showing now that the watching bottom line critical due to Medicare reforms and the reduced Group 2 power chair business. Pride does not promote from within (or at least they don't compensate in a meaningful way when they do). If you've got a pumped-up resume, you'll probably command a decent salary & you probably won't last six months.
    I often wonder if the CEO knows about the waste being hidden by his senior VPs or the questionable risks taken by greedy executives to launch products before they are ready. Either way, it's sad. If he does, shame on him. If he doesn't, how could you not see it?

Recognize the talent you have, before it's all gone.
    Get committed to following the established procedures before you hurt someone.

A rather ungraceful fall from near the top

Current Employee - R&D Engineering  in  Exeter, PA
    Current Employee - R&D Engineering in Exeter, PA

Pros

My enjoyable experiences with this company have greatly diminished over the past year, at least I can go home every day and joke to myself, "can this get any worse?". I almost always answer "yes" to that self-imposed question. It's fun to play games like that with myself as a way of bringing some sort of humor to my day. After all, it's really the only true "pro" that I can factor out of each day throughout the last year of nearly endless job cuts and further damages to employee morale.

Well, the restaurants in the area are pretty good for the most part. Some of the people that are still there, for now, are really great to work with. Sometimes I'll get a light in my eye knowing that something I did, at some point in my employment there, has in some way helped a disabled person in need or made their life a bit happier. But those moments of self-gratitude dissolve very quickly as praise is a non-existent practice at Pride Mobility.

Any moment of praise or self-satisfaction quickly vanishes because the cloud of constant degradation from upper level management looms overhead every work station, office, meeting room, hallway, and cafeteria. Hallways are monitored via security camera, not for security reasons, but simply to monitor employees' actions. Ironically, the cameras were put up facing every entrance to the R&D department right after significant cuts were made to the R&D department with threats of even more if productivity did not improve. This is one of the problems, the person in charge has delegated the layoffs to senior management that is in no way qualified to handle the complicated task of reducing cost in a company. Productivity in a department that was reduced well below its desired capacity will not be more productive. The term "more with less" has been thrown around several times with no real plan on simply generating more when it's so easy to make less. New engineering software have been thrown at engineers with substandard training from managers that do not know how to use it themselves. Every day, employees are turning their notices in with no real plan on replacing that person or successfully delegating their workload to others in the team. More often than not, there isn't anyone left in the "team" to accept the workload because they had already resigned or they were laid off. Pride calls the latter a "position elimination".

Cons

The real issue was the rate at which Pride grew during the 1990s. In an industry where Medicare unknowingly compensated for wheelchairs that were horribly overpriced by both Pride and our nationwide network of upstanding, honest dealers (sarcasm). If passenger cars were paid for by a government program called Carcare, then automakers would not have to do much in the way of design, continuous improvement, or quality checks in order to grow and continue to flourish. The consumer is given a car, like Pride would sell a wheelchair, free of charge, so why would a customer complain if nothing was taken out of their pocket? The large profit margins, combined with no real "soul" in the industry allowed Pride to grow exponentially. Throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, money was made hand over fist. The under educated and under skilled employees in the early years that showed great skill in blindingly following orders and delegating blame to someone other than themselves were quickly promoted in a quickly growing company. Education and real experience were found to be undesirable as the person in charge would rather have slow witted "yes men" that would heed to every request, no matter how ridiculous, rather than show intelligence and initiative to actually solve problems. Call it a god complex if you will. As he would never want a manager below him to show more skill or intelligence that he would. The term "set it and forget it" comes to mind when thinking about the success of Pride's earlier years. With little regulation in the early years, it was fairly easy to manage and turn profit.

Now with the Medicare faucet turned off, the true nature of Pride's incompetence is shown. It came to light not too long ago that actual ROI analyses were never really completed for many products. Why? I would imagine that simple accounting math cannot be that difficult to perform, but some of those numbers must have been really big. A true return on investment would not really be needed in the past when the government dished out free money for a 70% profit margin for thousands of wheelchairs each month. Meetings never accomplish anything, as differing opinions from each branch of the company constantly clash in over-elaborate speeches made in brand new board rooms paid for by many of the recent layoffs, or rather position eliminations. The work culture has turned into a free for all, as upper management is buying their bus passes and going open season on anyone who differs in opinion. Usually those differing opinions possess some sort of logic, in the form of recognizing that a particular product in development has little to no market (5 sold per month); it will generate little to no profit for the company despite the hundreds of thousands of dollars already invested. Upper management would rather listen to outside consultants, who are out to milk every little penny out of a product at the expense of the consumer, than their own employees.

The roof is falling, the ship is sinking. The bow has already descended into the water, yet upper management and HR will tell everyone that it's okay and the company is simply going through a small downturn. I suspect that at least one of the reviews on this site was generated by HR themselves. As too many reviews simply contained too much truth as to the real state of the company and the review itself reeks of corporate buzz words and self promotion. Job seekers, former employees, and current employees are too smart for that. It's old, die gracefully with honor. The bridge has been swept away and there's no going back. I can write a novel about my negative experiences there in the past five or so years that I have worked there, but what's the point? I wouldn't have typed this much if I was lying, as lying is simple and concise. You don't want to work here, or many other places in northeast Pennsylvania. As they say, run, don't walk away from this. If you already have an interview scheduled, eating under-cooked chicken and opting out would be less painful than actually going for the interview.

Continue to bathe in your arrogance and do absolutely nothing. You're doing a stellar job of running the company into the ground. Be proud of that.

There are newer employer reviews for Pride Mobility Products.

Worked for Pride Mobility Products? Contribute to the Community!