Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

www.pgcps.org
Unclaimed Profile

good position

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Beltsville, MD
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

students are their priority and intereste

Cons

caseload over work need more employees

Advice to Management

pay attention to suggestions

Other Employee Reviews for Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD)

1. Extremely disorganized, no accountability, disgruteled teachers, no raise in 5+ years, no union etc...

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Landover, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the county since August after moving from NY. The only pro I can speak confidently of is receiving a year of experience and being able to move back to NY and be hired in a small, well organized district where people are held accountable for their actions.

Cons

I was interviewed at a recruiting fair in NY for PG county. At no time throughout this process was I informed of a pay freeze for 5+ years, there is no teacher's union it is only an association which is a glorified bargaining tool that does nothing. We pay $35+ a pay period to be a member and see no change or perks for our money. The main resource the association provides for being a member is liability insurance, which is a waste seeing that I know if I'm ever sued I will not be guilty therefore hiring my own lawyer if necessary will be more beneficial than wasting hundreds if dollars a year for something the county should provide. Meanwhile in NY the teachers actually have a union that yields results and they pay $19 a month. I had multiple important documents lost in this lengthy hiring process that had all my personal information on them, but it was up to me to resubmit these papers or my pay was threatened to be held. I have had to contact payroll multiple times because each pay period my paycheck has been different. These among many others have frustrated teachers for years and is in part why PG has so many new hires leave after one year.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable.

2. Run!

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Prince Georges County Public Schools (MD) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with young people. It is very rewarding to see them grow and know that you played a role in that.

Cons

Tons of micro-managing, Terrible leadership, Stressful work environment, Condition of many schools is horrific, Too many administrators and county leaders who do not put students first

Advice to Management

Hire leaders who have actual credentials and teaching experience. Too many decision makers have never taught or haven't taught long. Therefore, many decisions that are made are very unrealistic.