Prince William County Schools

Great place to work

Current Employee - Teacher in Manassas, VA
Current Employee - Teacher in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Prince William County Schools

Pros

PWCS has abundant opportunities for professional development, a solid support team, and reasonable pay and benefits. Job satisfaction is going to be on a case by case basis depending on what school you work at, but I personally love my school.

Cons

As with any teaching profession, dealing with parents can be challenging. Additionally, PWCS does not have a fantastic special education program. The sped teachers are amazing, but the qualification committees seem to only want to do the paperwork and testing for kids who have vocal parents.

Support your teachers, custodians, teacher assistants, and other employees. Teaching is a difficult profession that is quite emotionally draining. Offer words of encouragement to help teachers continue to feel appreciated. Also, make sure you really are in it for the children. Don't let a child fall through the cracks just because the only person rooting for him/her is the teacher. In other word, don't just help kids with special needs who have vocal parents.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Prince William County Schools (View Most Recent)

Great School District Does Not Pay Teachers Enough for Area Living

Former Employee - Teacher in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Manassas, VA

I worked at Prince William County Schools

Pros

Great teachers, administrators, and students. Northern Virginia is a cultural center in itself, in addition to being close to Washington DC. There is an abundance of activities for all ages in the area - both personally fun and career advancing. Prince William County offers a wonderful multi-cultural pool of students and teachers so I see that as an advantage. The level of education is excellent and standards are high. In addition, the Virginia Standards of Learning are adhered to and teachers receive sufficient training and support. Administration is supportive as well and teachers have strong leadership. Finally, because Prince William County is in the western part of Northern Virginia, it has more of a small-town feel and it is a friendly place.

Cons

Compensation is the biggest downside. The salaries do not support the high expense of living in Northern Virginia.

Put the pressure on the Board to increase salaries.

Love my school

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher

I have been working at Prince William County Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the administration and teachers at the school I work in. We have a great climate and I think overall that is the feel for most schools throughout the county.

Cons

The current amount of additional hours of work (beyond the extra hours teachers already put in) is now very unrealistic, especially with a young family. 12 hour work-days are not uncommon, they are more like the norm. I'm afraid it is driving away wonderful teachers who are in education for the love of teaching and children. Also, while teachers are never in it for the money, it would be nice to feel appreciated by receiving reasonable raises. Insurance for families is also very expensive.

There are newer employer reviews for Prince William County Schools