Princeton Consultants

Very Satisfying

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
Current Employee - Technical Consultant

I have been working at Princeton Consultants

Pros

It is the best company to work for. I truly enjoyed and enjoying my job here

Cons

Too technical sometime. Politics in the management. very few growth opportunities

Shake it up

15 Other Employee Reviews for Princeton Consultants (View Most Recent)

Excellent company hiring smart and nice people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton Consultants full-time

Pros

They hire physics and math majors from top-notch universities. You will find many smart and nice people there.

Being a physicist, you will learn a lot about IT. Fast paced environment - a projects might last less than a year (for many - it might be a cons).

Quarterly meetings are very entertaining - each employee might talk about anything which might be relevant for the firm for 5 minutes.

They match 100% on 401K.

You have to achieve 2000 hours a year goal. This will be below 45 hours a week, so despite others claim 50 hours, the average PCIer makes less than 45 hours a week which is not too much in my view compared to the other consulting companies.

Cons

If you are a physicist or a mathematician (and more than 50% are), you might feel that your skills are not used. But it really depends on your perspective, after all - if you are a physicist, why not to stay in academia.

I know, this is hard and depends on the clients, but if you hire physicists, try to get some interesting analytic job for them. Especially for the company known for optimization.

This place is a joke. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

I have been working at Princeton Consultants full-time

Pros

- You get exposed to the ins and outs of an IT project from the get go. Pro if you are self-directed.
    - Good 401k match although vesting period is long. Full match after 5 years with 20% increase per year.
    - Co-workers are usually from good educational backgrounds and are generally hardworking and dedicated.
    - This place can be a good stepping stone for better places. Staying here long-term makes no sense and you will be stuck in a dead-end job.

Cons

Note: Be careful about reviews here. PCI cares quite a bit about its image and I would question the validity of some of these reviews. I also read some pretty insightful reviews in the past but I can no longer find them.

- Uncompetitive pay although they will say otherwise. Analyst and Associate pay is a joke considering people's backgrounds (See salary for evidence). Analyst do NOT get paid billable hours bonus despite being guilt tripped into putting in major overtime/weekends and doing the exact same work as Associates or higher. When you first join, they will try to low ball you in terms of your base salary. Don't get pressured into giving an answer right away.
    - 50+ hrs/week is expected. Hours rather than productivity are the most important measure of your worth and it is meticulously tracked after each work day. This is done through multiple means such as time sheets which you have to write daily.
    - Very hierarchical. Analyst I -> II -> III -> IV -> Associate I -> II -> III -> Senior Associate I -> II -> Consultant I -> II -> etc... Get the idea? Promotional structure is absolutely meaningless and discouraging. There are performance reviews every 6 months and although raises are given quite often, these raises are actually minuscule and meant to give an illusion of progress. If you start off at the bottom level, you are essentially wasting your time and should probably think of an escape plan.
    - Experience is very project dependent and if you get stuck on a bad project then too bad. You don't really have a choice and this leads to high turnover. There are quite a few bad/boring projects in the firm.
    - Management is clueless on how to give people incentive and lack foresight. Guilt tripping is used to solve any type of issue rather than actually caring about employees needs or thinking intelligently about the project's direction.
    - Many projects are stuck using old or obscure technologies and the skills are NOT transferrable.
    - Company motto is "optimization" despite optimization NOT actually being used in most projects. Some of the main optimization experts have already left and have taken their expertise with them.
    - No flex hours and work from home is discouraged. Facetime is key. Management is paranoid and do not trust their employees.
    - Full formal dress code.

- Please act morally. I've seen some pretty immoral conduct and it reflects very badly.
    - I have nothing else to say. It's clear they don't listen or just don't care. Perhaps it's in their interest to remain the same.

There are newer employer reviews for Princeton Consultants