There are newer employer reviews for Princeton Review

Great Student Opportunities

Former Employee - Campus Representative
Former Employee - Campus Representative

I worked at Princeton Review part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, flexible opportunity for students to pitch text prep courses to other students on campus.

Cons

If you work on a campus that has a contract with another test prep company, you may feel that you work is for not.

Students know better than upper management social media trends as well as campus dynamics to tap into to reach goals.

155 Other Employee Reviews for Princeton Review (View Most Recent)

A fun job with great pay

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Princeton Review part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is one of the most unusual companies in the world. They stress the importance of being real, being casual, and having fun. A former boss once said, "If you're not having fun with this job, you're doing something wrong." The pay is good, too -- thanks to teaching for TPR, I was able to survive three bouts of being otherwise unemployed.

Cons

Sometimes management can have knee-jerk reactions and will shoot first before asking questions. Thankfully, this doesn't happen often. The biggest problem you'll have, really, as an instructor with The Princeton Review, is back-stabbing students and parents, who despite singing your praises while tutoring or teaching, and despite significant score increases, will feel you didn't do a good job. (Two examples -- I had a GRE student whose score increased 160 points but still gave me a terrible review, and an ACT student whose father was not satisfied with a 5-point score increase despite the guarantee of 3 points, and the fact that such a huge score increase is extremely rare.)

My only concern is that seemingly since the company was sold, management hasn't been as fun as before. For the longest time, it was unheard of to get an e-mail from corporate that didn't start "Hey there!" I'd love to see more of that.

Do the same job elsewhere and get more money with better treatment

I worked at Princeton Review part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hourly rates are good-ish if you don't think of it as a full time job. It's a bit more by the hour than you would make at an entry level position, but you'll never have more than a couple hours in a given place so that premium is basically negated by travel. If you're smart enough to tutor at TPR, then you're smart enough to tutor at one of their smaller, higher-paying competitors.

Cons

TPR classifies all of its teachers and tutors as part time, regardless of longevity at the company or actual hours worked, to avoid paying benefits and fulfilling obligations owed to full-time employees. I worked there for over 3 years, sometimes as much as 60 hours/week, but was not offered health insurance or even a company email address. (Part time employees at TPR can pay out of pocket to join some kind of minimal coverage plan, but it doesn't meet legal standards to be considered insured). As a "part-timer," you receive no PTO and aren't protected by many employment laws, including the Family and Emergency Medical Leave Act. I had to take a couple of weeks off to recover from surgery, and when I returned, I was effectively demoted. None of my managers acknowledged it, but I was offered less work at a lower rate than I had been in the past, and after a couple of months of trying to get by on such, I left the company. Bottom line, don't sign a long term non-compete agreement with a company that will toy with your income.

Overhaul your treatment of both part-time and full time employees. Work towards a corporate culture of longevity. Don't lay off valuable support staff and replace them with new grads who will work for less. Don't demand restrictive non-competes from employees who don't have access to proprietary information. Hire full time teachers and tutors so your employees will have incentive to improve their skills. Pay part timers a larger percentage of their hourly revenue (In my case it was usually 15-20%). Change your incentive structure to favor growth rather than retraction; managers' bonuses should be just as high for creating new profits as for reducing costs.
    In short, the company should try to match the standard of living offered by its competitors instead of trying to squeeze more profits out of its employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Princeton Review