Princeton Review

www.princetonreview.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Princeton Review

Cheap pay, not that bad of a short term job for people straight out of college looking desperately for work.

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Princeton Review

Pros

Easy to get the job. Everyone who got approved for the training thing got hired. Pretty flexible with work hours - I was able to come in early now and then, and it didn't seem to be a problem that it meant I could get off early. It was even mentioned before we were hired that it was possible to do such a thing. Mgmt doesn't criticize you much because they aren't paying you much anyway! The people were fairly nice, and the bosses are nice too.

Cons

Lousy pay. Corporate environment. Felt like unimportant cattle all lined up in a row of computers. It gets boring after a while. Nobody seems to be excited about being there.

Never met senior mgmt.

170 Other Employee Reviews for Princeton Review (View Most Recent)

One of best part-time jobs a college student could ask for.

Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Princeton Review

Pros

Awesome place to be working for as a college student as mentioned. SoCal TPR is different than most other TPR places, with a fairly laid-back employee setting allowing for flexible part-time hours ideal for somebody still in school. Applying was easy, the real interview is training for courses where, especially for SAT I, they are pretty hard about doing teachbacks making sure that the quality of your teaching skills are up to par. It's always very satisfying to hear back from kids who tell you that you got them into college. Pay can't be beat also for the work being done.

Cons

Management definitely plays favorites, a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours sort of thing. Have to plan out hours way in advance to make sure that your current schedule won't conflict and teaching classes is a sort of first come, first serve type deal. Not too much room for advancement unless you looking to start working full time as more than a teacher.

Stop playing favorites, it doesn't go unnoticed and turns away people from the company. And stop forgetting to pay for random classes we sub!

TPR - amazing on a micro scale, going through changes on a macro scale

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Princeton Review

Pros

I'm sure that my experience is colored by the fact I work in a small office (I've heard stuff about other offices that doesn't sound as awesome as ours). Regardless, I think that such an experience could be replicated in any office with the right people, and the reason it could be replicated is because there is a lot of autonomy given to employees at all different levels. People are encouraged and expected to think outside the box, make decisions on their own, and sort of "build their own job." You can make as much or as little of it as you want.
    Yes, our office is AWESOME because the Executive Director allows us latitude with how we execute our duties, but I believe that the Princeton Review as a whole has an attitude that nurtures employees and keeps them challenged. Just read anything that Jon Katzman has written and you'll get a good idea of what the overall attitude of the company is like.

Cons

Well, given that this is a small office (and many are), it's hard to initially see opportunities for advancement without moving to another city. However, this doesn't mean that you can't grow and develop in the few positions that are in this city, and the opportunities for advancement by relocating are AWESOME. Additionally, because of the nature of our business, you can both work a full-time job and teach in the classroom, so there is the ability to make more money immediately if you want to do so.
    But that would really have you kicking yourself in the ass, working long hours. The job does take a lot of energy, both on a social and anti-social scale - all of us spend a lot of time doing "admin" stuff and a lot of time client-facing, which can get exhausting

There have been a lot of changes in upper management lately, which have resulted in new policy after new policy. I know that my manager does a great job of "filtering" this info from me so as not to overwhelm me, but I do still know it's happening and it can be frustrating.
    My best advice would be about timing - there needs to be time for dissemination and execution of any given policy! Also, changing policies several times over the course of a year can get irritating - while possibly necessary, i wish the work were done on the front end instead of trying to back track and revise one policy several times.

There are newer employer reviews for Princeton Review