There are newer employer reviews for Princeton University

Not Worth It

Former Employee - Lab Manager in Princeton, NJ
Former Employee - Lab Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good facilities, and intellectual environment.

Cons

Unsupportive Human Resources department, in my experience. Be forewarned: they are definitely not there for you, but for the university. This won't be hard to see as they don't particularly care to hide it.

When I tried to negotiate my salary, I was told that if I didn't want the job, there was a long line of people who would be only too happy to replace me! It was quite shocking to be spoken to with such disdain and to be seen as so dispensible, all before the first day at work! If you notice these things and can afford to, forgo the prestige of working here as it is not worth it in the end - it will not get any better and you will save yourself from the stress and trauam that comes from working in an undermining environment..

Care about your "lower level" employess, such as lab techs. Pay more attention to how your PIs are treating their lab staff. Put procedures in place to get feedback from them. on operations.

reviews filtered by
  1. Can't wait to graduate and leave Princeton!

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The university does a relatively good job of activities on campus and trips to the city etc. Unfortunately these don't really make up for living in such a small town. The academics are amazing however, generally very good teachers, seminars and research.

Cons

I would say the majority of graduate students at Princeton would not recommend it. I was warned by several past students and successful Professors, but I thought I knew better. Only go to school here if you're satisfied to live in a small town with 5 bars.

2. Very demanding work culture

Former Employee - Lecturer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's Princeton. You get the chance to meet with the world's most renowned researchers, professors, and scientists from almost all areas of study, and the smartest students from around the world.

Cons

Although you work and live in the best university in the world, it is hard to really enjoy all the benefits that would first come to anyone who heard about your job--you simply have no time. The work would take up all your time and it was rarely the case that you could have a weekend all to yourself, regardless of the fact that you've been working really really hard on weekdays.

Working for just 26 weeks per year is the nature of all teaching jobs. It cannot be taken as a legitimate explanation for giving your employees twice as much work as they could handle during that 26 weeks.

There are newer employer reviews for Princeton University