Princeton University

There are newer employer reviews for Princeton University

Not Worth It

Former Employee - Lab Manager in Princeton, NJ
Former Employee - Lab Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good facilities, and intellectual environment.

Cons

Unsupportive Human Resources department, in my experience. Be forewarned: they are definitely not there for you, but for the university. This won't be hard to see as they don't particularly care to hide it.

When I tried to negotiate my salary, I was told that if I didn't want the job, there was a long line of people who would be only too happy to replace me! It was quite shocking to be spoken to with such disdain and to be seen as so dispensible, all before the first day at work! If you notice these things and can afford to, forgo the prestige of working here as it is not worth it in the end - it will not get any better and you will save yourself from the stress and trauam that comes from working in an undermining environment..

Care about your "lower level" employess, such as lab techs. Pay more attention to how your PIs are treating their lab staff. Put procedures in place to get feedback from them. on operations.

157 Other Employee Reviews for Princeton University (View Most Recent)

Lab research group

Former Employee - Researcher in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Researcher in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Princeton University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. Nice, friendly staff and a nurturing environment for growth.

Cons

Initial hiring process can be bureaucratic, requiring trips to various buildings spread across campus to get all the required signatures.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Princeton University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific leadership, intellectually stimulating environment, ample resources, beautiful setting, runs like a well-oiled machine - with lovely facilities, overall very positive environment with highly competent and respectful staff, lots of programs to encourage overall staff well-being, great benefits overall.

Cons

Staff are second-class citizens (compared to faculty, students and postdocs). Compensation is good upon entry, but there are systems in place that make it hard to get a decent raise if you stay in the same job but take on increasing responsibilities.

Revisit the promotion and raise system. In the current structure, someone whose job grows significantly has a big incentive to transfer to another position in order to get an appropriate raise - because it is difficult to increase the salary in a meaningful way even when the official job level is raised.

There are newer employer reviews for Princeton University