Great hands-on experience

Current Intern - Corporate Tax Accounting Intern in Des Moines, IA
Current Intern - Corporate Tax Accounting Intern in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with senior staff and most of your project are usually done by your co-workers. By this I mean that its great some you get to work on some real world projects.

Cons

I think salary and compensations are the only negative aspects of Principal FInancial Group. The rent cost in Des Moines is oretty expensive and their housing allowance covers only month and half of the lowest renting place.

Advice to Management

I think it would be better to increase either housing allowance or hourly wage

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to work

Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst - Lead in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst - Lead in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, work-life balance.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement, , some areas have very outdated technology, salary is lower than in competing companies

2. Client Service Associate - Good Pay, Good Benefits, High Stress, Poor Management

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Mason City, IA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Mason City, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good match on 401k, good pay, offers pension, fortune 500 company, good on resume, good starter job, great training, great Paid Time Off

Cons

Not a career unless you're in Des Moines, limited upside potential for advancement, most will do same job for career or same level.

Mircomanaged and under constant stress by multiple levels of managers in multiple locations to hit and exceed goals, even though very few of managers have done the job or workforce management.

Although lots of pd time off given, very difficult to take due to work volume

Not the same company since the 2008 crash, sad. Used to be if we voted for PFG to be a best place to work and they were picked, we would get a hour of time off. Not anymore

Advice to Management

Better communicate goals and how the roles fit together as a whole. Most CSA's are overworked and feel just like a number. With that said, there are some great managers too.