Principal Financial Group

www.principal.com

Career redo

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMidwestern sensibilities. Well managed. Great culture. Support and encourage entrepreneurship. Best or next best-in-class in all core competencies: Retirement, insurance and investments. Great benefits. Great overall employee experience.

ConsAt times cautious to their detriment. With few exceptions their platform--pricing and client solutions--are available to captive and non-captive advisors alike.
Captive advisors, while we are open architecture (full access to non-Principal products), there is an over-emphasis via compensation disparity to favor PFG whenever possible. Coming from twenty year advisor and management wirehouse background where proprietary product favoritism was regulated out of existence, unsure how they get away with it. But who am I to complain?
Statutory employee--employer relationship (advisors are essentially contract employees with full benefits), while appealingly flexible for advisors, is said to be not-so-much in the eyes of the IRS!

Advice to Senior ManagementMine has a tendency to over-promise. I think they could also benefit from making more of an effort to keep the stresses of management, particularly things that crowd out--even if only perceived by the advisors--time and advisor space ought to be kept to themselves. "If it doesn't directly impact my world, or negatively does so, I don't want to hear about it. And I sure don't want you using it as an excuse where my wellbeing is concerned."

quantitative analyst

Equity Analyst (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros: people are friends in there Cons: everything is fine, i just do not like des moines Advice to Senior Management: no More

Great Company Tough Industry

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros: Everything Principal sells is top notch. Their own products or their outside network. The mutual fund family is excellent, life products are great,… Cons: This industry is not for everyone. You need to have a 3 yr plan to make this job a career. If you do… More

There are newer reviews on Principal Financial Group.

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!