Great Company

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

An investment counselor position at Principal gives you the chance to earn all of your licensing, pick up sales experience, and make a nice salary.

Cons

None. Don't apply for this position if you don't like sales or have a strong drive.

Other Employee Reviews for Principal Financial Group

1. Great learning experience.

Current Intern - Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Current Intern - Intern in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They have lots of opportunities and event just for the interns - networking, continuing education, and fun activities.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about it at all.

Advice to Management

N/A

Career redo

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Midwestern sensibilities. Well managed. Great culture. Support and encourage entrepreneurship. Best or next best-in-class in all core competencies: Retirement, insurance and investments. Great benefits. Great overall employee experience.

Cons

At times cautious to their detriment. With few exceptions their platform--pricing and client solutions--are available to captive and non-captive advisors alike. Captive advisors, while we are open architecture (full access to non-Principal products), there is an over-emphasis via compensation disparity to favor PFG whenever possible. Coming from twenty year advisor and management wirehouse background where proprietary product favoritism was regulated out of existence, unsure how they get away with it. But who am I to complain? Statutory employee--employer relationship (advisors are essentially contract employees with full benefits), while appealingly flexible for advisors, is said to be not-so-much in the eyes of the IRS!

Advice to Management

Mine has a tendency to over-promise. I think they could also benefit from making more of an effort to keep the stresses of management, particularly things that crowd out--even if only perceived by the advisors--time and advisor space ought to be kept to themselves. "If it doesn't directly impact my world, or negatively does so, I don't want to hear about it. And I sure don't want you using it as an excuse where my wellbeing is concerned."