There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group

Started good, ended bad.....

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I did go through a training program and I appreciate that. Okay benefits, low wages.

Cons

No hope for advancement unless you are in good with the management team. The pay is low and they wont let you apply for jobs within the company that are more than one notch above where you are currently at. It is not a family friendly place if you are one of the many low level employees. It apparently is family friendly if you are a high level employee, and get all kinds of perks. Middle managers think they are God....It was only after I left and was at another job that I realized how suffocated I was at PFG.

Nothing... it is what it is.

189 Other Employee Reviews for Principal Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Great company, if you happen to be in the right clique...

Current Employee - Sales/Service
    Current Employee - Sales/Service

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Principal used to be a great place to work. They had great benefits and promoted their culture as a positive reason to remain with the company. This was back when they regularly were named one of Forbes "Best Places To Work", in the mid 2000's.

Cons

There's a reason Principal is no longer named on the Forbes list. The atmosphere has really been degraded since 2008. Mid-management has gotten weaker and weaker, while upper management has become more focused on moving the stock price. This has led to a dilemma for many employees: do the right thing for the client and face a backlash from management or toe the company line and leave your professional integrity at the door. Their compensation package tells you all you need to know...

Clean up the "good old boy (and girl)" network in middle management. It's a joke that certain employees are still employed, while great people are leaving out of frustration.

good people, ethical company

Current Employee - Account Executive II  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Room for development and growth within the organization

Cons

have to play politics at times

align incentives with organizational goals then give more autonomy

There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!