There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group

Lots of perks, not very family orientated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are a big company, so the perks are endless. Not only do they have an onsite workout room, they occasionally offer fitness classes onsite. Their are many business in town that offer you a discount just by showing them your badge. You tend to develop a 'work family' with the others you work around. A real sense of community among co-workers. The benefits package is great. Compensation is adequate. Some days of the week they have local vendors come in so that you can purchase lunch without leaving the building.

Cons

They say the work ours are flexible, but that is only when they aren't giving you mandatory overtime (OT) to work on a weekly basis. Very hard to balance work and family. When you don't work the OT, it is frowned upon and you get passed up for raises and promotions. The 2nd position I held there that I worked for over 2 years, was sent to India and the closed my department down and we all had to look for other positions (inside or outside the company).

Advice to Management

To burnt out to give any advice.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrible, I hated every minute that I worked here

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

The vacation schedule was nice

Cons

Management was a joke and didn't have a clue of how to effectively provide direction and support. It is governed by the "good ol boys club" if you don't drink their Kool Aid then you won't be successful.

Advice to Management

Look for others perscpetives and stop relying on your multiple levels of incompetent mangement to provide direction. Look to all of your employees and if you still don't get a clue, then hire consultants to provide direction.

2. It has been a good place to get my feet wet and learn

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training program and resources are top notch. Very ethical. Management genuinely wants you to succeed.

Cons

Working on a commission only basis is tough. The stress level can be high at times around the office. Some of the corporate training is not entirely necessary and you get the feeling that you are at times getting the short end of the compensation stick.

Advice to Management

Provide the sales staff with preset leads or appointments. Take some of the money that is spent on training seminars and put that money into the sales staff marketing budget.