Principal Financial Group

www.principal.com
  www.principal.com
There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group

Lots of perks, not very family orientated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Island, NE

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are a big company, so the perks are endless. Not only do they have an onsite workout room, they occasionally offer fitness classes onsite. Their are many business in town that offer you a discount just by showing them your badge. You tend to develop a 'work family' with the others you work around. A real sense of community among co-workers. The benefits package is great. Compensation is adequate. Some days of the week they have local vendors come in so that you can purchase lunch without leaving the building.

Cons

They say the work ours are flexible, but that is only when they aren't giving you mandatory overtime (OT) to work on a weekly basis. Very hard to balance work and family. When you don't work the OT, it is frowned upon and you get passed up for raises and promotions. The 2nd position I held there that I worked for over 2 years, was sent to India and the closed my department down and we all had to look for other positions (inside or outside the company).

To burnt out to give any advice.

207 Other Employee Reviews for Principal Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Great Midwestern Company

Current Employee - Assistant Director - IT in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director - IT in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Principal is a great company located in a great location. You get the benefits of working in a fortune 500 company without the costs associated with working on the coasts or a huge metropolis.

Principal is big enough that you can move around to change careers but stay at the same company, but small enough that you can build close relationships.

Cons

Like most financial services companies, the last 4 years have brought a lot of pressure to keep the bottom line in the black.

Horrible, I hated every minute that I worked here

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

The vacation schedule was nice

Cons

Management was a joke and didn't have a clue of how to effectively provide direction and support. It is governed by the "good ol boys club" if you don't drink their Kool Aid then you won't be successful.

Look for others perscpetives and stop relying on your multiple levels of incompetent mangement to provide direction. Look to all of your employees and if you still don't get a clue, then hire consultants to provide direction.

There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group