Not for "go getters"

I have been working at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

IT Specific: Some parts of the company are surely "OK". However, you may spend 20 years trying to find that area that fits you. It is nice being downtown with access to the skywalks. Generally, nobody tries to micromanage you.

Cons

IT Specific: If you can do lots of things, don't bother here. They want people to be "siloed" and focus on your one tiny piece. Then you can fight the layers upon layers of nonsense to get any little thing done. There are so many redundant groups full of way too many people. The company is not nimble, and they have meetings upon meetings over discussing how things should be done.

Other Reviews for Principal Financial Group

Company touts values that are not seen in the day to day culture

Former Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior  in  Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - IT Applications Analyst Senior in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good to place to work for women in IT. They ensure a high percentage of women leadership. Total compensation package is good.

Cons

Integrity of upper management and leaders in departments is suspect. Career advancement and Salary is too dependent on cronyism and favorites. Low performance is tolerated and hard work is not necessarily rewarded.

Be open and honest. Practice what you preach.

NEVER AGAIN

Former Employee - Individual Investor Specialist II  in  Grand Island, NE
    Former Employee - Individual Investor Specialist II in Grand Island, NE

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was competitive for the area.

Cons

It was hard to be recognized as a valuable employee. When you're one among hundreds of call center reps you just become a small person in a big crowd. It never felt like management actually cared about you as an employee - only your call handling time, soft sale numbers, and pitches for other products mattered. There was no support for our teams during the largest recession in recent history. We dealt with unhappy customers, folks losing their jobs, trying to cash out their retirement plans just to make ends meet..it was depressing and management couldn't or wouldn't recognize the effort the ee's went through.

We're more than machines. Treat us with respect and dignity.

There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group.

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!