Principal Financial Group
www.principal.com Des Moines, IA 5000+ Employees

Good company overall, but watch out for low to flat career advancement opportunities

Marketing Advisor (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

ProsExcellent benefit package, including tuition reimbursement. Generous 401(k) match. Fair work/life balance.

ConsNo career path for my position. Consistently felt like they didn't know what I was capable of and they didn't care to find out. Some departments are less professional than others. If you like a casual work environment, this may well be the place based on the somewhat sloppy dress code in some departments. It also seems like they promote people based somewhat on favoritism rather than actual experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to get to know as many employees as possible, including their unique skills and abilities. It's not adequate to manage from offices in remote locations. If you get to know people, you'll have a better chance of truly assessing what they can contribute.

Principal, a great place to work!

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros: Flexible work hours, excellent benefits, great work environment, and opportunities for growth. They also embrace technology and business partners work closely with IT to produce… Cons: Change is something you need to get used to. If you are someone who does not embrace changes with a positive state of mind… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the communication. There are so many new things happening at Principal that it gets hard to keep focused on the overall goal. We… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Promotes work-life balance, great benefits

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros: work life balance, benefits package, great place for women to… Cons: largest employer in Iowa, so lots of competition to advance. Advice to Senior Management: work to reduce underacheiving employees so high performing can be… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Principal Financial Group.

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Principal Financial Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Principal Financial Group CEO Larry D. Zimpleman. All reviews posted anonymously by Principal Financial Group employees.