There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group

Good company overall, but watch out for low to flat career advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing Advisor  in  Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Marketing Advisor in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Excellent benefit package, including tuition reimbursement. Generous 401(k) match. Fair work/life balance.

Cons

No career path for my position. Consistently felt like they didn't know what I was capable of and they didn't care to find out. Some departments are less professional than others. If you like a casual work environment, this may well be the place based on the somewhat sloppy dress code in some departments. It also seems like they promote people based somewhat on favoritism rather than actual experience.

Take the time to get to know as many employees as possible, including their unique skills and abilities. It's not adequate to manage from offices in remote locations. If you get to know people, you'll have a better chance of truly assessing what they can contribute.

193 Other Employee Reviews for Principal Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Promotes work-life balance, great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

work life balance, benefits package, great place for women to work

Cons

largest employer in Iowa, so lots of competition to advance.

work to reduce underacheiving employees so high performing can be rewarded fairly.

Principal Financial Group from the eyes of an intern

Current Employee - IT Intern  in  Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Princiapl offers a very flexible work schedule, great people to work with, and a great environment to work in. People are there to help youif you need it, leave you alone if you don't, and they pay very well compared to compeitive intern positions I've seen. The work loads are reasonable, I have not heard anyone truly complain about their load or not having time or help to get it done. But there still is a push to be the best everyone can be and move as quickly as possible without wearing on people like some companies I've heard do.

Cons

I honestly have not run into any major issues that would make me not want to work here full time. The parking situation is my only gripe, but they are currently building a large parking garage across the street from the building I work in that I can probably end up in. As of now, they are busing people to and from a flat lot, which while they are making their best attempt to accomodate the employees, it still adds 20-30 minutes to your day, and you have to show up and leave by the bus schedule. Nothing in the office is a turn off for this job so far.

The senior management at Principal Finiancial Group is very determined and very precise with what they want from us as employees, and what they want for the company. Their goals are precisely set and measured, and often reacehd here, and they reward the employees for reaching them.

There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!