Principal Financial Group

www.principal.com
  www.principal.com
There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group

Good company overall, but watch out for low to flat career advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing Advisor in Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Marketing Advisor in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Excellent benefit package, including tuition reimbursement. Generous 401(k) match. Fair work/life balance.

Cons

No career path for my position. Consistently felt like they didn't know what I was capable of and they didn't care to find out. Some departments are less professional than others. If you like a casual work environment, this may well be the place based on the somewhat sloppy dress code in some departments. It also seems like they promote people based somewhat on favoritism rather than actual experience.

Take the time to get to know as many employees as possible, including their unique skills and abilities. It's not adequate to manage from offices in remote locations. If you get to know people, you'll have a better chance of truly assessing what they can contribute.

207 Other Employee Reviews for Principal Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Principal is a top place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Principal strives to give it's employees a great work/life balance. They see their employees as their greatest asset.

Cons

Employees who have been with the company a long time or have never worked anywhere but the Principal sometimes don't see the larger picture.

Keep up the great work. It's a great company and a great place to work.

Principal, a great place to work!

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Flexible work hours, excellent benefits, great work environment, and opportunities for growth. They also embrace technology and business partners work closely with IT to produce solutions that fit the need of our customers. And finally there are lots of different ways Principal reaches out to the community. Many of our casual days require us to pay a small amount of money that goes to charity and many times we are presented with different causes to support. It's good to know that my employer has an eye on the whole community.

Cons

Change is something you need to get used to. If you are someone who does not embrace changes with a positive state of mind then this may not be the company for you. However, in the years I've been at Principal Financial the change is usually a good thing.

Keep up the communication. There are so many new things happening at Principal that it gets hard to keep focused on the overall goal. We get frequent reminders of our policies and goals as a company, and when something isn't going right it doesn't get shoved under a rug. Instead the management steps up and helps us get back on track.

There are newer employer reviews for Principal Financial Group