Procter & Gamble

There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble

Plant Technician

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Still decent benefits and pay
Could be a great place to work again one day
Has the ability to be a wonderful and innovative arena with a little room to breathe and less fear. Right now it's just not good anymore, hope to say it's different again soon.

Cons

Currently working 110+ hours every two weeks. Told to flex out a day during the week to replace day off on the weekend. Cannot due to staffing restrictions. Therefore not unusual to work 12-13 days straight with NO option to take a day off. Not even using vacation days.

Bare minimum attitude from employees caused by culture of knee jerk reactions for disciplinary action for minimal mistakes and fear. There is no learning by mistakes at P&G and they will attribute every mistake to not paying attention to detail. Doesn't matter if it was an error with writing, walking or learning a process. Even if you should have had a trainer with you and there was not someone available to help the untrained employee they are still penalized if they don't do the task and penalized if they do the task and make a simple error or miss a step. There does not have to be a loss to the company in order to be punished for the error. Depending on your ability to lie and brown nose will be the extent of your discipline.

They preach accountability yet let people who have the ability to brown nose slide. If you do your work and set people up to succeed they penalize you by giving you the work of someone who does not do their work. Why because "I know you will make sure it will get done." These people who take pride in their work are loaded down and punished for having ethics. While others surf the internet or spend the day wandering the plant or playing on their phones.

Pay has been backsliding and we have recently been told we are getting paid too much for the community/standards of the packing communities in the area. Benefits are being standardized to the general company standards in the US as a whole and P&G wants to remain in the middle of the pack on these things. The yearly celebrations have dwindled and/or been cut back and the gift boxes for the year over the last 5 years have been cut down it won't be worth the cost to ship in another 5 years at the rate they are going.

The attitude of the general populace is if you are only gonna compensate both through money and benefits at the middle then people are not going to give top performance. Down side is the few who have the mentality and ethics to perform their jobs at any level of excellence are now being punished by being overloaded.

Spend some time finding out what your employees do with their time, who does the actual work and even reward those who perform. Perhaps showing up in the work areas unannounced from time to time you will see what is truly going on in the production areas. Take the time to invest in your employees and make them feel appreciated. No one wants to hear there are a 100 people who would line up outside for your job if you don't want to do it.

2160 Other Employee Reviews for Procter & Gamble (View Most Recent)

Starter Job in a Rough Economy

Current Employee - Site Integrated Planner in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Site Integrated Planner in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck, going home at the end of the day.
    Decent training that will provide you with the ability to look for other positions outside of the company.
    Company still holds a good name when you talk to those outside of it.

Cons

Depending on the area you are hired in to, work life balance is non-existent. You will be expected to sign over your personal time in order to better the business. expect phone calls at all hours of the evening and morning. Required to bring your work laptop home to work over weekends. I have had managers ask me if I was willing to bring my laptop with me on vacation.

Pay is below average, but they tell you that the benefits make up for it. Currently those are being stripped down and the cost has increased significantly on them the past 3 years. At the same time the retirement is 1/3 of what it was just 15 years ago.

If you aren't hired in as a manager, you will fight for 20 years to be promoted to one if you are lucky.

Currently the management bloat is reaching an all time high. I have 12 managers between me and the "executives".

Start recognizing that people have personal lives. You can't continue to tell people that their role's main benefit before it came to Cincinnati is that it was a day shift position. 99.9% of the roles in Cincinnati are day shift, so instead of treating people poorly, find a way to make them feel good about their job.

Also, you can't keep cutting the benefits and increasing their costs, not while we are being underpaid by 30-50% in many cases.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Flexible, work-life balance programs. Excellent training

Cons

Lots of cut-throat, type As

There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble