1971 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Make sure you are getting an entry-level management job NOT A&T

Current Employee - A&T  in  Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - A&T in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Huge company so you have a broad range of departments to work in, it's like changing companies every time you change departments or business units. P&G has good benefits, decentralized decisionmaking, high level of responsibilities from day 1, mentoring program, tuition reimbursement, goal oriented evaluations (based on outcome and not how much time you work or other subjective reasons), 360 feedback (to help you know your strengths and weaknesses), and most importantly, P&G is a company that you can work for your entire life, most people do.

Cons

If you come in as an A&T (non management - Administrative & Technical) chances are you will never make it to management no matter how well you perform your job or what your educational background might be. Entry-level management positions are offered to recent grads of 4 year programs and masters degrees with no experience, yet, if you have these degrees and happened to start as an A&T, you have slim to none chance of getting into management. I know plenty of MBAs at P&G that are A&Ts, have been with the company for 10-20 years, have been top-rated and aren't promoted into Band1 (entry-level management).

Basically: If you see "non-management" in the job description, DO NOT APPLY if you have any aspirations to management, especially in marketing. Marketing specialists NEVER become Associate Brand Managers, it just doesn't happen. ABMs start at Band2, so if A&Ts cannot make the jump to Band1, there is even less chance they can jump to a Band2 ABM role.

Stop undervaluing the talent you have inside the company. P&G claims to be a "promote from within" company and says "we hire the person not the position." This is only true if one is hired into the right level at P&G. If you are hired in as non-management (A&T), YOU ARE AN A&T FOR LIFE. If P&G wants to stop loosing talented people to other companies, P&G needs to start valuing their personnel fairly and compensating them for their accompishments and skills. The rating system and retribution system are very slow moving at all levels in the company.

Food for thought: The vast majority of A&Ts are women.

Other Reviews for Procter & Gamble

Fast-paced environment, great place to learn.

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Procter & Gamble

Pros

High-quality people surround you in nearly all areas.

Cons

You're married to your job due to long hours and demands.

Politics are still pervasive.

In my 5th year since I like it more than I expected to

Current Employee - Senior Researcher  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

R&D should by nature involve learning new things, and P&G promotes this with a system of "Communities of Practice" (for example, Skin & Hair Science, Packaging, Polymers, etc) and symposia & training sessions from both internal & external experts.

P&G people generally have good ethics.
    Great maternity leave or "less than full time" options, so if you value work-life balance more than maxing out your paycheck, you & your manager can probably figure out how to get what you want.

Cons

Salary is fair but not highly competitive, and anything BUT transparent. Based on experience at 2 other companies before working here, I'd say the depth of the talent pool is clearly above average at P&G, yet the company rating system requires a quota percentage of employees to get poor rating (3). That doesn't necessarily mean a 3 rated person will lose their job, but raises & definitely all promotions are out of the question, and I'd assume it would also make lateral transfers to other projects or jobs difficult. This potential problem is magnified by the tendency of 1st & 2nd level managers (section heads & AD's) to play musical chairs in the company. I've seen cases where employees have had 4 section heads in just over a year. Your rating will depend largely on how well your manager advocates for you in the rating sessions comparing you to peers among other managers' employees, so too many re-orgs or managerial musical chairs could hurt an employee's chances for a good rating, even if they do really good work.

There are tons of specialized systems that you need to navigate in order to do things, and overall P&G can be fairly bureaucratic or schmoozy at times. It makes it very hard to deliver new products quickly. There was much less need to schmooze or navigate bureaucracy at the most upstream research facility (MVL), but unfortunately that facility is being shut down.

P&G also seems to buy into their own hype too much - we usually assume our version of a product is better than any of our competitors, which can make it very hard to see our weaknesses or areas where competitor products are better.

The greater Cincinnati area is very conservative & very evangelical - there are even some P&G scientists who support the nearby "Creation Museum" in Kentucky.

Just because P&G is a leader & has smart people doesn't mean our competitors can't make better products or execute & deliver more effectively.

Be very careful about taking the full time & cost into account when "outsourcing" things like IT, employee benefits, purchase orders, etc.
    When trying to develop & launch a product from an external collaborator or supplier, take into account that this requires teaching them how to comply with our quality standards & systems, so it may be faster & easier to do internally instead. And, since external companies have little stake in P&G's long-term reputation or the equity of our brands, the risk is higher.

There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble.

Worked for Procter & Gamble? Contribute to the Community!