Procter & Gamble

Great Place for New Hire

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

I think they really care about you as a person and want to develop you to be the best you can be. You get to learn about various work systems and they give you a guideline or CBA lol on how to do things. There is a way to do everything and its carefully outlined. I don't think this is a bad thing because you don't really have to follow the guidelines, but it makes your life harder if you don't. I think when you start out as a new hire, you want to follow these guidelines and then tweak them or innovate. I actually worked for pg as an intern and wasn't told how to do anything. I think they hired me based on the fact that I did very well given the circumstances. Knowing what I know now, I realise my assignment was incredibly hard and I appreciate the P&G tools now at my disposal. Those tools answer the burning questions I had when I was an intern

There is a lot of work to be done in some categories especially the acquisitions or mergers so you can really showcase your achievements. Furthermore the culture in some locations are very laidback, none of this proctoid stuff you hear about in Cinci.

It does seem to be an engineer's company strangely enough. If you are an engineer you can go anywhere you like from finance to HR without ever leaving the company, I think their training programs are that good.

Lots of people are lifers, that should say something. Finally my interview with P&G was the weirdest ever and I had to take some assessment, which was also pretty strange. They are looking for a certain type of person most definitely and if that's you, great. If not, you probably would have hated it anyway.

Cons

The Locations are pretty bad. The benefits could be better ... how can you not be immediately eligible for 401(k) contribution. Some managers are not good managers. There is obviously some politics and bureaucracy. Onboarding process could be better. Promotion does seem rather sluggish. Pay could be more competitive. Could do a better job of integrating acquisitions. Could have a better recognition program for good results. Workload is rather heavy, it seems like one has to be a jack of all trades. Way too much focus on reapplication and not trying to reinvent the wheel... seems like that goes against LCOS and BVOA and really thinking about 'elegant solutions'

Listen more to the little people, they make P&G what it is and also try to see where your ideas are actually being implemented, it's feedback for the thoughtprocess

2219 Other Employee Reviews for Procter & Gamble (View Most Recent)

Takes time to do things, but gets it right in the long run, very ethical place to work

Current Employee - Systems Manager in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Manager in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Procter and Gamble is a great place to work. People are willing to help you learn and will give you challenges quickly. P&G is a very ethical company. There is lots of support for "doing the right thing". It is one of the few companies left to promote from within. Because of this philosophy, there is lots of "bench strength" at P&G with there typically being 3-4 people who could readily step into any difficult role. The culture of how things are done is very entrenched although people in the company would tell you that P&G is very different from what it was several years ago.

Cons

Because there are lots of people who are very skilled, you have to really work on being noticed and tell people that you are interested in the next level. Unless you want to be in Cincinnati, you will have to move to various assignments to continue your promotions - which can difficult for your family. P&G generally has good people, but it can be difficult for an outsider to learn how decisions are made since they can be made by consensus of a group, may require a particular leader to agree, etc. Different divisions are completely different in how they are run with regard to money (i.e. - businesses that make a lot of money aren't used to how to cut money like other divisions).

Continue to grow employees as owners of the company

Can't really find a better employer in my opinion.

I have been working at Procter & Gamble

Pros

Everyone is a proffessional, of course there are times you wonder why a person is in his job, but that is not always the case. There is much less politics in this company vs. anywhere else.

Cons

If you are not flexible to move it can be difficult if you want to be in senior management.

Need to be more attentive to people who are not flexible to move.

There are newer employer reviews for Procter & Gamble