There are newer employer reviews for Progeny Systems Corp.

Agile Organization that eliminated all the great benefits of being a small startup

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Groton, CT
Former Employee - Test Engineer in Groton, CT

I worked at Progeny Systems Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initially when I started with the organization there was a great work/life balance. Soda, snacks, and monthly Costco trips were common-place. So was Nerf Gun battles between offices. Around 2008-2009 this all ended. The organization shifted to a more hard-core approach and eliminated any of the free office benefits.

The organization still has a good reputation in the industry and some really talented folks working for them.

Cons

Drastically below-average salaries
Management does not heed advice
Focused purely on Defense Contracts and does not utilize talent well
Many talented folks leaving
No support for the IT department. The current CIO is a Network guy who's been with the organization since it was a single small office. Management does not want to spend the money on IT infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Provide training to management
Do not promote people just because they've been there a long time, promote people with management skills

reviews filtered by
  1. Fantastic

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern

I worked at Progeny Systems Corp. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company with a large employee focus. Very interesting projects that are multidisciplinary and challenging. Great way to develop as an engineer. Standard 9-5 unless deadlines are coming up.

Cons

Working under SBIR contracts with the Navy leads to meeting design "standards"(MILSPEC) and constant revisions. Some work gets mundane and is stressful when deadlines are fast approaching.

2. Very interesting work.

Former Intern - Developer Intern in Manassas, VA
    Former Intern - Developer Intern in Manassas, VA

I worked at Progeny Systems Corp. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to work on some very interesting, cutting edge computer vision problems as an intern. Comparing the work I did at Progeny to work elsewhere, I would take the Progeny work any day because of my interests.

Cons

The working space was a little dull and development was disorganized. The location is not within walking distance to any food or parks, so lunch breaks often required cars.

Advice to Management

I would definitely invest in more open workspaces. Cubes and offices are a thing of the past. An open workspace allows for constant communication and collaboration which was lacking in my experience.