Progress Energy Florida

Progress Energy

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

Salary. Alternate Work Week Schedule.

Cons

Do more with less. Leadership training is sub standard.

Need better mechanisms for employee feedback.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Progress Energy Florida (View Most Recent)

Power Company Distribution Engineer

Current Employee - Distribution Project Planner  in  Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Distribution Project Planner in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

In my job, the split is about 50 / 50 inside vs outside work so if you get stir crazy, you can always "go to the field". Again, in my job, I deal with the public, which can be good or bad, but I find it enjoyable. Hate to say it, but we're a monopoly, so pretty much, what I say goes when dealing with the customer as long as I follow the PSC approved policies...but this fact must be used sparingly and with care...but as a monopoloy, we don't have to compete for customers.

Cons

It seems, after being an employee for a number of years, that as new management teams come in, they restructure the organization into configurations that have already been used. There is also some serious back-stabbing going on forcing competent, honest people either out of jobs or out of organizations or keeping people in certain positions when they wish to advance. Progress Energy provides very little or no formal training for its engineering staff resulting in poor customer service (and thus poor image of the Company) and even worse designs. Finally, the monopoly thing goes both ways: you can't tell someone to "get out of my store" when they're a real pain...you have to deal with them.

Evolve the organization rather than restructuring to what we were doing 10 years ago.

Progress Energy needs to get out of the dark ages.

Current Employee - Plant Operator  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Progress Energy Florida

Pros

Decent compensation, fair time off practices. Peers tend to be very friendly, but upper management is a very closed group.

Cons

Benefits packages leave alot to be desired. They are extremely expensive for family plans and most have a high deductible. Company policy is very dated and does not allow the company to necessarily keep the best performers. The company is from the old school mentality of good old boys club thinking. Many of the middle level management has no clue as to what their job truly is and meddle in others business. There is a large amount of incompetence in middle management.

Listen to your people more. Many of them know what they are doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Progress Energy Florida

Worked for Progress Energy Florida? Contribute to the Community!