Surprised by teamwork

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility with work schedule. Accommodating any and all family need and emergencies. Provide an excellent work environment and a casual atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is not great but the benefits are excellent. Lack of communication on a few issues and the HR department could be better involved with identifying poor performers and working on action plans to improve their performance or moving on.

Advice to Management

Need to be proactive with succession planning

Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Business Publications

Everyone was so supportive and encouraging

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

Cons

There were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Management

It would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

Company that doesn't follow their own "proclaimed" values. Run away as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. But if you are willing to be a follower and do what they say you will get by. You need to be someone who doesn't think for themselves.

Cons

Search the web for "progressive business publications" and look at the search results. You will see a great deal of negative publicity about the company exploiting people at businesses across the country. This is reason enough not to work there. On top of that, consider the people who work there for a long time and are comfortable with this fact. They obviously are either stuck there or don't find anything wrong with misleading or taking advantage of people. Why would you want to work with them? In addition to these facts, my experience at the company was very in line with the negative facts that come up in the search results. People there didn't really care about the customers, nor did management really care about employees. The turnover rate of employees was very high and customers were always calling into complain.

Advice to Management

I do not think advice will help this management team.