Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com
  www.pbp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Business Publications

Great place to build a resume, but you'll never get rich working there.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bensalem, PA
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Flexible hours, easy work. Good performance is rewarded appropriately. Good relationship between staff and management. Those who truly strive to succeed are given the assistance they need. Those who do succeed are rewarded with promotions. The job can pay VERY well, but ONLY if you are very good at phone sales without sending out false, unclear or otherwise bad orders(fluffing your sales with bad orders will get you fired fast).

Cons

Training is brief and broad. Severe turnover. Will hire anybody, but will also fire after giving a short grace period out of training. Poor office conditions (slow to repair plumbing, air conditioning, etc.) Minimum wage with an hourly sales incentive that is difficult for most reps to achieve. The ideal rep is essentially one who does enough sales to be worth keeping but not enough to get paid beyond the $7.15 an hour base rate. The job requires a great deal of mental endurance and fortitude and very few employees last more than a month there.

Extend training to two weeks, allow greater employee autonomy with regards to sales script. The current sales incentive system is demotivating, too few attain it. Do away with it and instead give employees regular raises to their base rate at 6 or 12 month intervals, since employees that last that long are the ones you want to keep and those that don't last don't become discouraged.

76 Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Business Publications (View Most Recent)

Overall great experience

Former Employee - Summer Editorial Intern
    Former Employee - Summer Editorial Intern

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had a wonderful experience as an editorial intern at Progressive Business Publications this past summer. I worked as an assistant editor on several of Progressive Business Publication's newsletters. I was responsible for writing cover stories, short pieces, and calling subscribers to generate content. By the end of the internship I had taken on the responsibilities of a full-time emplyee. All of the other employees were extremely helpful, and I felt like I was really a part of the Progressive Business Publications family. The company is founded on solid ethical principles and truly adheres to them. Progressive Business Publications is also involved in various philanthropic initiatives in the community. The mentorship program in particular has had remarkable success in improving the lives of children in the area and improving test scores as well.

Cons

Sometimes it got very tedious to have to go through the list of subscribers making phone calls, but I understand it is part of the job, I also wasn't making as much as some of my friends in other internship positions, but I did make a decent amount.

Positive Environment, Dedicated and Professional Colleagues

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

*Culture that encourages achievement
    *Colleagues are people of accomplishment who encourage and support one another
    *Opportunity to bring great ideas to fruition
    *Strong record of giving back to the community

Cons

*It is hurtful and aggravating to read the nasty criticisms and negative comments seen on the web.
    *some of these harangues seem unfair and misleading

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Business Publications