Progressive Business Publications
www.pbp.com Malvern, PA 500 to 999 Employees

Great place to build a resume, but you'll never get rich working there.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Bensalem, PA

ProsFlexible hours, easy work. Good performance is rewarded appropriately. Good relationship between staff and management. Those who truly strive to succeed are given the assistance they need. Those who do succeed are rewarded with promotions. The job can pay VERY well, but ONLY if you are very good at phone sales without sending out false, unclear or otherwise bad orders(fluffing your sales with bad orders will get you fired fast).

ConsTraining is brief and broad. Severe turnover. Will hire anybody, but will also fire after giving a short grace period out of training. Poor office conditions (slow to repair plumbing, air conditioning, etc.) Minimum wage with an hourly sales incentive that is difficult for most reps to achieve. The ideal rep is essentially one who does enough sales to be worth keeping but not enough to get paid beyond the $7.15 an hour base rate. The job requires a great deal of mental endurance and fortitude and very few employees last more than a month there.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtend training to two weeks, allow greater employee autonomy with regards to sales script. The current sales incentive system is demotivating, too few attain it. Do away with it and instead give employees regular raises to their base rate at 6 or 12 month intervals, since employees that last that long are the ones you want to keep and those that don't last don't become discouraged.

Excellent life and work balance

Manager (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Very diverse culture with helpful management Cons: No room for salary negotatian Advice to Senior Management: Maybe the management should consider raising salaries based on experience. More

Overall great experience

Summer Editorial Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as an intern for less than a year

Pros: I had a wonderful experience as an editorial intern at Progressive Business Publications this past summer. I worked as an assistant editor on several… Cons: Sometimes it got very tedious to have to go through the list of subscribers making phone calls, but I understand it is part of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Progressive Business Publications.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All reviews posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.