Progressive Insurance

www.progressive.com
  www.progressive.com
There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

A leading insurance company.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

It's a big company, and has the resources to offer many opportunities for training and career growth. There are also opportunities to work in different areas of the company, which allows you to get breadth of experience. If you don't like working in one area, you can fairly easily move to other areas. There are pretty clear processes and procedures for almost everything, so if you like structure, this is the place to be. Many departments, other than those with direct customer contact, have liberal dress codes. There are some nice employee-friendly perks, such as exercise centers, in-house medical clinics, etc.

Cons

There are many, many layers of management. This can translate to decision makers who are insulated from the information they need. Another downside is the "gain-sharing" plan which makes a nice bonus in good years but in lean years can bring your pay below what you may have planned. Because there are processes and procedures for almost everything, it may be difficult to innovate or make changes. This is particularly true with some managers who may be afraid to rock the boat. Of course, there are some managers who can apply common sense to help get the job done too.

Because there are many layers of management, work to improve communications up and down.

734 Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Insurance (View Most Recent)

Great place to work !!

Current Employee - Training in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Training in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

My manager cares about me and how I feel about my job. I am paid fairly for the work I do. My job allows me the flexibility to manage my work life and home life. My boss gives me positive feedback as well as constructive criticism when needed. Reviews are done timely and throughout the year to ensure that you know where you stand on your objectives and goals. Career opportunities are available if you have the flexibility to move within the United States. My vacation and time off benefits are very flexible. I have the ability to request time off and know that if I do go on vacation, my job can be managed by someone else while I am gone.

Cons

There are some instances of unfairness in promotions and salaries based on being "liked" vs. actual job effectiveness.

Keep up the good work. Try to take personal opinions out of decisions and make it more performance based.

A great place to work, but don't expect huge monetary rewards

Current Employee - Marketing Process Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Process Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Progressive is an environement where you are constantly placed in situations that are challenging and thought provoking. However, the amount of support you get in any of these situations is actually quite impressive. This truly is a place where everyone's opinion is valued and that your unique thoughts are incorporated into how the company does business. The career pathing particularly with indivudual managers is very good. As an employee you spend a very reasonable amount of time talking with management to determine where you will go next. It is the support and inclusiveness of the organization which make it a truly great place to work.

Cons

Progressive frequently suffers from a lack of visionary or strategic leadership. Most decisions are made very tactically which can lead to suboptimal results. Because the culture is so focused on analysis and quanititative skills, it can be hard for someone without those skills to be taken seriously or given opportunity. There is also a tendency to make quick judgements of data that, while statistically significant, does not feel right. This leads us to always stay down a consistent path, but not reward or recognize people who are willing to try something new and learn by failing. Additionally, the compensation for the amount of work that is required of you is severly lacking. Salaried employees frequently spend 7 days a week working and are paid rather low for what they contribute.

Senior management needs to take a hard look at themselves and ask if we are doing the right things constantly. It isn't enough that we are meeting business goals, but rather that we are meeting business goals with a culture that supports and encourages the growth of individuals. I believe that the key to Progressive success in the coming years will lie in the ability to try new things quickly and adapt to an ever changing insurance market.

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance