There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

Good place to start out.

Former Employee - Claims Generalist in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Claims Generalist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good starting pay right now of college with benefits, gain sharing and time off.
- An excellent training program, one of the best I've experienced.
- I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers, direct supervisor and branch manager.
- If you have the right type of personality and mind-set for this type of work you could be extremely successful and potentially move up quickly. But it certainly isn't for everyone.

Cons

- I felt like they took advantage of people being salaried, definitely not only a 40 hour a week job.
- The branch I was in was very, very understaffed causing those that were still there to have the work of two people.
- The job itself can be very stressful, speaking with people who are already very stressed an often time hurt after an accident.

Please understand that people who are very tenured may be able to work upwards of 10-15 new claims a day, but people who have been there a year or less will struggle with it and that is something to be understood, not punished for.

reviews filtered by

Surreal and not in a good way

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you live in Cleveland's chronically depressed economy and are bright and over 30, you're lucky to find work so Progressive is a good option.
    The art collection is interesting.
    It's a great first job for those fresh out of college.

Cons

The HR function is the most corrupt of any of the 10 organizations for which I have worked.
    It's great to hire young, energetic talent but they need leadership and guidance.
    Employees are required to sign off on training that states they will report any observed violations of company policy but many employees who have done so have been maligned and slandered by HR, some to the degree that they are "managed out."

Take a much closer look at your HR function. They are notorious in the Cleveland market. Your financial results would be even stronger if the talented people in your employ aren't fearful of speaking up. Then again, from this perspective, it seems that is senior management's intent.

2. SWEATSHOP- All the Managers had Geico ....

Current Employee - Senior Auto Damage Appraiser in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Auto Damage Appraiser in Miami, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, training. nice front line employees

Cons

Clique type environment, if you like being micromanaged, and prefer being promoted based on which team lead, & managers butt you kiss, ("bring an apple for"..."hang out with after work" ? Then this is the job for you.
     Find "no win" situations challenging and rewarding?Then work in claims for Progressive writing auto damage estimates.

NONE