Micromanagement, Lousy supervisors, great co-workers

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Iselin, NJ
Former Employee - Claims Representative in Iselin, NJ

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I worked WITH (not FOR) some great people - everyone was young, driven, tons of energy. I think our universal dislike of our bosses and customers brought us closer together. -You can advance quickly - I just didn't have the patience to stick it out. Within 6 months you can move to a different position (the field resolution representative position is what everyone wants and can easily get) -TRAINING is great- they sent me to Phoenix for 2 weeks - learned a bunch, but I partied like a rock star. They periodically send you to Phoenix or Cleavland for more training -Also, there is a ton of knowledge to be gained- you are literally on the front line, your insurance knowledge and claims handling abilities will become second to none if you succeed -Good pay to start out with - $45,000 out of college, and I had a 6% raise within 3 or 4 months of being there -Other insurance companies realize that Progressive trains their people well and that Progressive claims associates work like fiends

Cons

-Supervisors love micromanagement, as it is the only way they can justify their jobs -LONG HOURS- you stay until the work is done type of environment -General unhappiness and discontent among most employees -UNNECESSARILY STRESSFUL- most customers are alright, but every now and then you get claims where it can leave you pulling your hair out -Unrealistic expectations create many incentives to be dishonest, especially regarding the "diary" system and customer surveys -Your job performance is based around customer satisfaction surveys and meeting their metrics for performance, which are at times extremely difficult, but attainable if you don't mind staying until 10 or 11pm

Advice to Management

Either have the supervisors handle claims - they do nothing but soak up money and bother hard working associates or reduce the amount of claims that associates can receive (8 claims per day typically)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Senior Sales Representative

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, Excellent product offering, Work life balance, Benefit Package, Gainshare, On site fitness centers, Overtime available & Competitive salary for entry level with opportunities to grow.

Cons

The pay is very close for a Master Closer as it is for an order taker. No commission based arrangements. Sales contests are based on luck of the draw not skill.

Advice to Management

I know plenty of tenured Sales Representatives within the organization that are merely getting paid more based on tenure, not skill. Pay the SALES CLOSERS more than the order takers.

claims

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

gainshare, competitive environment, transfer opportunities

Cons

work hours, no time for family