Progressive Insurance

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

Micromanagement, Lousy supervisors, great co-workers

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Iselin, NJ
Former Employee - Claims Representative in Iselin, NJ

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-I worked WITH (not FOR) some great people - everyone was young, driven, tons of energy. I think our universal dislike of our bosses and customers brought us closer together.
-You can advance quickly - I just didn't have the patience to stick it out. Within 6 months you can move to a different position (the field resolution representative position is what everyone wants and can easily get)
-TRAINING is great- they sent me to Phoenix for 2 weeks - learned a bunch, but I partied like a rock star. They periodically send you to Phoenix or Cleavland for more training
-Also, there is a ton of knowledge to be gained- you are literally on the front line, your insurance knowledge and claims handling abilities will become second to none if you succeed
-Good pay to start out with - $45,000 out of college, and I had a 6% raise within 3 or 4 months of being there
-Other insurance companies realize that Progressive trains their people well and that Progressive claims associates work like fiends

Cons

-Supervisors love micromanagement, as it is the only way they can justify their jobs
-LONG HOURS- you stay until the work is done type of environment
-General unhappiness and discontent among most employees
-UNNECESSARILY STRESSFUL- most customers are alright, but every now and then you get claims where it can leave you pulling your hair out
-Unrealistic expectations create many incentives to be dishonest, especially regarding the "diary" system and customer surveys
-Your job performance is based around customer satisfaction surveys and meeting their metrics for performance, which are at times extremely difficult, but attainable if you don't mind staying until 10 or 11pm

Either have the supervisors handle claims - they do nothing but soak up money and bother hard working associates or reduce the amount of claims that associates can receive (8 claims per day typically)

733 Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Insurance (View Most Recent)

claims

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

gainshare, competitive environment, transfer opportunities

Cons

work hours, no time for family

It's good it you want to stay in insurance

Current Employee - Managed Repair Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managed Repair Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Your Co-workers will be great people, and will support you both personally and professionally. Your job objectives will be obtainable. You can have a comfortable work-life balance, and personally, I've found my leaders to be supportive in times of need.

Cons

It is a very top down company with no mobility, cross-functionally unless you live in Cleveland, OH. Claims make up 80% of the jobs in the company, so most likely you'll be in a customer service type of role. Most people view, even their own, insurance company as the bad guy. Which on top of being in a customer service role with people who are negative to you and your role they don't like who you represent either.

I have worked in claims at Progressive for over 5 years and am about to complete my MBA. However, there are not opportunities for me to use my education locally, and nearly no support from a Fortune 200 company to improve myself with tuition reimbursement. You would think that a company who could use talent, especially developed internally with experience in insurance, would be more mobile in how and where they use it. Also, the last few years the company has developed a conflicting strategic plan. Initially, Progressive was focused on customer service in which every claim was assigned an individual claims representative from start to finish. Since they have segmented the claims experience from internal rep, to external rep, and if your claim is "less complex" it would be assigned to a central claim's unit (CCU). This conflicting strategy of CCU(high volume and low cost) greatly conflicts with the tradition of superior customer service ( one claim's rep. from start to finish).

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance