There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

It's a good company

I worked at Progressive Insurance

Pros

It is the largest company at Cleveland area.

Cons

The salary is not high.

659 Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Insurance (View Most Recent)

Misleading Career

Current Employee - PD Representative
    Current Employee - PD Representative

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people they hire are people you would want to work with.

Cons

Progressive employment is extremely misleading. For a company their size, worth over $14 billion dollars, there would be more opportunity. However, the "growth" they like to boast is primarily comprised of back filling and transfers. Plan on little to no upward mobility - UNLESS management LOVES you, both professionally and personally. It is definitely a game of favorites, and unless you're a sycophant, don't plan on promotions. If you don't eat sleep and breathe Progressive and LOVE every minute - good or bad - you'll have no career. They want yes-workers, no one with ideas or out of the box thinking. This company definitely falls prey to its own success...Progressive is so large, that they have absolutely lost touch with their base workers. Every other person I know that works in insurance outside of Progressive makes more. Usually quite a bit more. Annual salary reviews are usually a joke, and can oftentimes be insulting. They do not recognize the experience and merits of some of their more tenured reps. Local management will not stand behind you in decisions you make, and I don't know if that's out of fear from corporate, or sheer apathy. It's unfortunate that I'm looking outside of Progressive, because I feel that I AM a valuable employee (and I still like my coworkers), but I don't feel valued at all. Better compensation and fewer lateral movements preventing local vertical movement are ultimately the ONLY things that would need to be addressed...unfortunately that comprises about 80% of what a career is. Hence the 1/5 stars. Sorry, Progressive.

Stop playing favorites. Start paying competitively.

Nowhere to go

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally friendly co-workers, pretty ok benefits.

Good parking.

Security fence with gated access makes the place feel very secure.

Cons

You better be an expert salary negotiator when you are discussing salary, because you aren't going to get a raise after you start.

It is busy. All the time. Calls are back to back, with 5 seconds between calls. Your aux time (time not on a call) is very closely watched.

You are required to do sales pitches on most calls, even though it's a customer service position and are punished if not enough of your customers buy in.

There are strict guidelines that you must follow for every call. And you can not deviate from them. This requires you to be constantly looking at them, without committing them to memory. When you are on a call, the audit software not only records the calls, but also does screen capture. If you aren't looking at those guidelines on you get nicked for it. It doesn't matter that some of the information hasn't changed in years.

Good luck getting a day off. While you do get vacation time, it is almost impossible to be able to find a day to get off. You must schedule it at least 3 months in advance generally to get the day off.

You don't get 2 days off in a row, unless you work the 4x10 schedule (4 days a week, 10 hour days).

No career growth. There hasn't been a new coach in over 7 years, and a new manager in about 5. Managers do lateral moves, so your actual manager may change, but not due to hiring or promoting, just switching them around. There is virtually no promoting. Unless someone dies or quits you are in that entry level position permanently. There haven't been any promotions at my site in the 2 years I've worked here.

Hire more people so call volume isn't high all the time and so that employees can take their vacation days.. Make some sort of career pathing so employees know that they somewhere to grow into. Follow up on your promises to employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!