There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

Pgoressive Can be fun

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Product Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Progressive has lots of opportunities to learn different things. Whether it be in R&D, claims or pricing, the Progressive way is one of movement - if you don't like something, do something else. Something Peter Lewis taught each one of us. Movement is typically encouraged. Pay isn't awful Work and home balance is a good thing. Very few are here past 6 pm each night. This place is fantastic when growth is good. Can be depressing when growth is bad. Been here for almost 10 years and have seen both good and bad times. Good is better obviously but we learn from the bad and come back better than before.

Cons

As we become larger, we're losing sight of some of the things that made us Progressive and without trying, creating a glass ceiling for those of us that are left. You work hard to reach a certain point and all of a sudden, hit the last promotion of your career and people are surprised that people leave. Although I think we're reacting the other way to that now. We focus so much on career development (or at least as a catchphrase) that there's no place for a product analyst that likes their job and would do it for a while anymore. Everyone needs to be thinking about that next step.

Advice to Management

Your top talent is leaving as everyone is passed over for favorites of a select few.

reviews filtered by
  1. A great place to work, in any market

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Progressive has a truly unique culture. The outstanding art collection is inspiring. The level of respect people have for each other is great, and the company is really focused on work/life balance. Plus the opportunity and support to grow and move around in the organization is a bonus. People here are proud to be here, proud of their work and not afraid to try new things. It's okay if it doesn't always work, as long as you learn from it and move on. There's a feeling of openess, where you can say what's on your mind and not be repimanded.

Cons

Business is doing so great right now - but insurance goes in cycles. As we get bigger and bigger there's more beauracracy and more division between units. Business leaders are exteremely busy and sometimes don't make time to communicate with employees, which is a key part of any organization's success. Some individual manager's style could be improved but that's the case at any company. Making change based on feedback seems to take quite a while, but at a corporate level, there are indeed a lot of people and issues that would need to be worked through before new things can be implemented.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees and communicate what you know, when you know it. Really listen to employees' feedback and ideas.

2. Work is Great Environment is Poor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

The training is excellent and guidelines are given to complete assignments

Cons

Since majority of employees are fresh out of college the atmoshpere tends to be juvinile.
    Also company tends to over analyze itself with audits of the audits

Advice to Management

Give your trained employees more leeway in claims rather than micromanage

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance