There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Insurance

Great company and benefits! Excellent training offered.. employed with company 5+ years.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Progressive Direct gives you gainful experience in the insurance industry. The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition. There are always new positions opening for recent college grads or anyone looking for a position in customer service. Benefits are superb and the management isn't overbearing with feedback.

Cons

high call volume can be draining at times but one "adjusts".

Progressive Insurance Response

Nov 6, 2014 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for adding your comments. We understand that working in a call center environment is not for everyone, and are glad it’s been a good experience for you. –KH, Recruiting

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I got paid well for what I did but felt like a scripted robot with no human empathy.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The pay is the biggest plus, they paid more than other area call centers. * You get 10 hours of earned time benefit a month. Good benefits.

Cons

* Odd hours. Good schedules are supposed to be given based on seniority but I got declined for my schedule change multiple times over the course of two years while people with less seniority were granted theirs. * Promotions in my department were virtually non-existent so you knew that unless you transferred to another department you were always going to be doing the same entry level customer service job that you were hired at. When promotions did come up on rare occasions everyone became very cut-throat to try and get them. I felt that promotions were given to those with the most seniority rather than to the person who was most well qualified to do the job. * No decision making authority. Almost every situation has a script and if you deviate from the script your call will be failed when they pull it. There is no decision making authority on your part as a CSR or any room for critical thinking. You just read the script. It's not so bad the first year or so that you do it but there's definitely some burnout that sets in year #2 when customers are yelling at you and they're upset and there's nothing you can do for them so you just read the script. Which leads me to my next point.. * You become jaded. When I first started, I really cared about each customer and wanted to help them. It would really upset me when I couldn't help them and I took it personally if they didn't like my service. One of my first days on the phone an agent called me a stupid b***h and I cried because I took it personally. After a while, you just can't care about every caller. It's too emotionally taxing to care about every caller with a sob story or every angry customer. People will tell you about how they can't pay their insurance because their wife is in the hospital or they're living on social security or they didn't REALLY deserve that speeding ticket on their record-- and you just can't care about it all. There's nothing you can do to control the price of their insurance. No button you can click to make their rate go down. Your job is to get customers on and off the phone. I didn't like the person that I became who had to pretend to empathize with customers just enough to keep my call ratings high when my supervisors pulled them. I grew a thick skin-- too thick.

Advice to Management

Being on the phones is hard work. Management seems to forget that because they've been off the phones so long they're out of touch with our reality. I think a big help would be to either give more promotion opportunities to help CSRs advance beyond that entry level position and do something besides be on the phone, or incorporate processing tasks into CSR's days so they take calls for 6 hours and then do processing work for 2 hrs. Just a 2 hr break off the phone to do something different and break up the monotony would have been a big relief. I also think management needs to spend a minimum of two days a month on the phone so they can see when they make policies what it looks like to enforce them with the customer.

A good place to work

Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and plenty of opportunities to move up in management. Team leads are easy to approach and available for coaching & questions. The job is far from boring and there never seemed to be enough hours in the day to finish your workload.

Cons

Very high workload which made it hard to offer exceptional customer service, yet exceptional customer service was expected. Upper management would often do office visits but it seemed like our concerns were rarely addressed and when they were it was with an air of "We're going to have to pull you off of your workload to have meetings about your concerns" which in turn increased our workload.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer service and employees needs and happiness for a more efficient work day.