Very difficult place to understand, given weak management, limited feedback, and excessive upper levels of management.

Former Employee - Anonymousost Estimator
Former Employee - Anonymousost Estimator

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc.

Pros

Interesting projects, fun people to work with, and opportunity for travel (but of course this is not so good if you don't want to travel).

Cons

Management will fire people as soon as there is little or no work. Given the cyclic nature of the business, this happens frequently. The company is now owned by an investment banking group, who has little apparent interest in promoting loyalty among employees, but seems to take a very bottom line approach. The company is highly focused on federal work, which is not a good market right now, and probably will not be for the future, hence opportunities may be limited. Although they have two divisions, forensic and project controls, the two groups have very different cultures, and there is limited opportunity for cross pollination.

Although management claims that their employees are the heart of the business, you would certainly not know it from the cavalier way they dispense with even long term, loyal employees who performed well, and traveled extensively. Do not expect any appreciation for your hard work, advancement seems to be a matter of kissing up to your boss, or possibly blind luck. It is a little bizarre to see advertisements for new employees at the same time existing employees are being terminated, either they hire a collection of losers and then have to fire them later, or there is something weird about the system. I think the system is pretty weird, leading back to top management.

Reduce the number of high level managers. Take the time to understand what the field workers actually do, and try to make their life a little easier. And don't fire people as soon as they have 5 unbillable days, plan ahead, and seek to find alternative work assignments for them. Possibly keep them on part time or on contract status, you never know, you might need them again some day.

Other Reviews for Project Time & Cost, Inc.

My time at PT&C was very rewarding.

Former Employee - Senior Cost Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Cost Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The high level of Professionalism amongst the people that I worked with and the challenges presented were exceptional. The traveling to various project location was very rewarding.

Cons

The down times due to lack of work made the future employment with the company a challenge. This was not very conducive to any personal long term planning.

None

I worked there six years, then got terminated when work got slow.

Former Employee - Cost Estimator
    Former Employee - Cost Estimator

I worked at Project Time & Cost, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Projects were interesting, and often challenging.

Cons

When I first started, I worked in the forensic division, which has since been sold. We did forensic analysis after hurricanes Katrina and Rita (2005). We typically worked 70 and 80 hour weeks, were paid for 40 hour weeks. We were promised a large bonus at the end of the assignment, but the company manipulated the books so no bonus was paid. I am still angry about that.

I moved to the cost estimating division, performed estimating and scheduling for the Department of Energy mostly. Lots of travel, some years was gone 50 weeks. The work was interesting, sometimes even challenging. For the first four years there was plenty of work, then the bottom started falling out. Eventually the company dropped from about 150 project controls personnel down to 50, at which point it was my turn to get terminated. Remarkably, they forgot to fire me the week of an all hands conference call, at which the CEO announced that the company had been forced to make some tough decisions, but everything was now OK. That call was on a Wednesday as I recall. Friday afternoon I was terminated. Pretty ugly.

If you go to work for this company, understand that you are there as long as you are employed on a project, then you are dust. Negotiate the best salary, do not believe any promises of bonuses etc., only believe what is strictly on your paycheck. And keep your resume updated at all times, and in circulation.

This is ironic, I actually liked some of the upper management. I don't imagine recommending that management be honest with employees is very useful, certainly that has never been the policy at this company, at least after they were purchased by the investment group. No doubt the company is trying to primp itself so it can be sold off, and that would probably be the best thing that could happen.

There are newer employer reviews for Project Time & Cost, Inc..

Worked for Project Time & Cost, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!