There are newer employer reviews for Promega

Helped confirm my desire to become a scientist

Current Intern - Research Scientist in Madison, WI
Current Intern - Research Scientist in Madison, WI

I have been working at Promega as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful work environment. Everyone is friendly and welcoming and they are accepting of college students who are thriving to learn. Not only a great place to work, but a great place to learn.

Cons

Very hard to get hired in R&D unless you have a Master's or PhD. Many of the interns and project employees are found through company connections, making it hard for anyone not connected to get in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You do an excellent job at motivating employees and creating a place where you can work and feel respected.

Other Employee Reviews for Promega

Family atmosphere is more like a small town environment.

Former Employee - Production Scientist in Fitchburg, WI
    Former Employee - Production Scientist in Fitchburg, WI

I worked at Promega full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned alot about production and performing independentaly. People can be nice and are generally professional ! Nice facilities, good curb appeal and some of the perks are nice, but realize its a PR stunt. The CEO knows marketing and it shows especially with the media.

Cons

Croonizism is high, and seniority seems to win out. Don't correct people when they are wrong because they will make your life hard. High number of older workers who happen to be insecure with their positions and are often forgetfull about directions or what they said or didn't say. Not much accountability for certain individuals and integrity is questionable.

Advice to Management

None, because I know most of the management will retire shortly and are only going to do enough to get by and aren't able to or just don't want to change. Advice to possible buyers of the company...has good marketing, a decent product line, good R&D, but needs alot of cGMP work and guidance. Their QA is a joke!

Farm team for Madison biotech community

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Promega full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

With an advanced degree, you have lots of opportunity to shape your career development. I was fortunate to have managers who truly did care about my development and used their own time and company resources to invest in me. In return I worked my ass off. Non-cash perks are numerous Beautiful working conditions with lots of natural sunlight

Cons

Pay is below average CEO is a nut who runs the place like a fiefdom. If you're in, you're in. Business decisions and strategy is dictated by who has the CEO's ear, not a sound business case Global offices ignore any direction from home office: Tail wags the dog.

Advice to Management

Bring in some professional managers and C-suite executives. Founder has outgrown his ability to drive the company and lacks the skills to manage a large global organization.