Prometric
www.prometric.com Baltimore, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Racism? Nepotism? Cronyism? Here's a Place with All Three!

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you need some BIG COMPANY experience on your resume, Prometric is somewhere to get it - providing you are prepared to suffer for your entire tenure. In this case, that experience comes at a very high cost.

ConsIn my more than 20 years of experience, Prometric is, without question, the worst place I have ever worked. Ironically, one of my challenges while working there was overcoming poor Glassdoor reviews in order to get people to accept job offers. Looking back, I feel a little bad about the ones I did manage to convince.

It's difficult to articulate everything that makes Prometric such an abysmal place to work, though I was surprised by several things. First, this is the only place I've ever worked where yelling is considered an acceptable and effective method of communication. Worse still, thinly veiled racism is accepted, and even encouraged by Senior Staff. "What about HR?", you may ask. Prometric HR does an excellent job of assisting management in flouting the law - doing just enough to make a legitimate EEOC complaint an uphill struggle. Oh - and did I mention I'm Caucasian?

Beyond the obvious problems I've already pointed out, there's a sense of despair on the part of the employees. Maybe it's because the default response to any problem at Prometric is to fire someone. For the record, I was not fired (despite how bitter I may seem), but I had many close scrapes, and more than once was forced to terminate one of my subordinates against my own wishes. The project is late? Fire someone. The budget is low? Fire someone. A C-level executive is having a bad day? Definitely fire someone!

Many here have pointed out that Prometric might provide an opportunity for growth - a ticket punch, as it were. One thing to keep in mind: in a year and a half, I was not allowed to spend a single penny on training for any of my 18 subordinates.

I could continue, but I think I've provided enough information to motivate anyone who can get a job someplace else to do so. There is one exception to what I've outlined here: if you're related to someone in a high place, this could be a cushy job for you. Prometric may not promote family values, but they certainly promote family members!

One final point: Prometric has more than 5,000 employees spanning all 50 states and more than 150 countries. I worked at the corporate headquarters in Baltimore, and that is the experience I write about here. Experience from one test center to another can vary widely, so if you're considering a test center position, I recommend you continue your research.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement won't listen, but in order to fix things, it has to start at the top. This company is sick, and sometimes the only way to remove infection is to cut it out. I don't know how many corporate executives would need to be replaced in order to break this morally bankrupt corporate culture, but replacing the CEO and all his direct reports would be a decent start.

A Rabbit hole of Disaster.

Test Center Administrator (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Prometric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The Candidates can be from all over the world. They usually are bright eyed and bushy tailed with hope and… Cons: Bad management. Lack of communication. Lack of expectations. Lack of movement within company. Lack of skill building. Lack of community. Lack of goals. Lack of… Advice to Senior Management: When your foundation is treated like left over crumbs, expect… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A lot of changes in management.

Test Center Administrator (Current Employee)
Rego Park, NY

I have been working at Prometric part-time for more than a year

Pros: Friendly female coworkers. Learn more about available professional exams. Out of sight, out… Cons: Short-staffed management team(ONE manager for locations in ~10 states). Angry and stressed test takers. Some… Advice to Senior Management: Hire experienced people for management who takes responsibility for their… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Prometric.

Worked for Prometric? Contribute to the Community!

Prometric – Why Work for Us?

Prometric is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Educational Testing Service (ETS) and a trusted provider of technology-enabled testing and assessment solutions. Our more than 20 years of experience providing the right test… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prometric reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Prometric CEO Michael Brannick. All reviews posted anonymously by Prometric employees.