Prometric

www.prometric.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Prometric

Racism? Nepotism? Cronyism? Here's a Place with All Three!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Prometric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you need some BIG COMPANY experience on your resume, Prometric is somewhere to get it - providing you are prepared to suffer for your entire tenure. In this case, that experience comes at a very high cost.

Cons

In my more than 20 years of experience, Prometric is, without question, the worst place I have ever worked. Ironically, one of my challenges while working there was overcoming poor Glassdoor reviews in order to get people to accept job offers. Looking back, I feel a little bad about the ones I did manage to convince.

It's difficult to articulate everything that makes Prometric such an abysmal place to work, though I was surprised by several things. First, this is the only place I've ever worked where yelling is considered an acceptable and effective method of communication. Worse still, thinly veiled racism is accepted, and even encouraged by Senior Staff. "What about HR?", you may ask. Prometric HR does an excellent job of assisting management in flouting the law - doing just enough to make a legitimate EEOC complaint an uphill struggle. Oh - and did I mention I'm Caucasian?

Beyond the obvious problems I've already pointed out, there's a sense of despair on the part of the employees. Maybe it's because the default response to any problem at Prometric is to fire someone. For the record, I was not fired (despite how bitter I may seem), but I had many close scrapes, and more than once was forced to terminate one of my subordinates against my own wishes. The project is late? Fire someone. The budget is low? Fire someone. A C-level executive is having a bad day? Definitely fire someone!

Many here have pointed out that Prometric might provide an opportunity for growth - a ticket punch, as it were. One thing to keep in mind: in a year and a half, I was not allowed to spend a single penny on training for any of my 18 subordinates.

I could continue, but I think I've provided enough information to motivate anyone who can get a job someplace else to do so. There is one exception to what I've outlined here: if you're related to someone in a high place, this could be a cushy job for you. Prometric may not promote family values, but they certainly promote family members!

One final point: Prometric has more than 5,000 employees spanning all 50 states and more than 150 countries. I worked at the corporate headquarters in Baltimore, and that is the experience I write about here. Experience from one test center to another can vary widely, so if you're considering a test center position, I recommend you continue your research.

Management won't listen, but in order to fix things, it has to start at the top. This company is sick, and sometimes the only way to remove infection is to cut it out. I don't know how many corporate executives would need to be replaced in order to break this morally bankrupt corporate culture, but replacing the CEO and all his direct reports would be a decent start.

121 Other Employee Reviews for Prometric (View Most Recent)

A Rabbit hole of Disaster.

Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Prometric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Candidates can be from all over the world. They usually are bright eyed and bushy tailed with hope and motivation. Can definitely feed off the energy they provide as they trudge the land trying to move towards their goals/dreams.

Cons

Bad management. Lack of communication. Lack of expectations. Lack of movement within company. Lack of skill building. Lack of community. Lack of goals. Lack of employee development.

This place generally only hires people on as part-time/or retiree's who had to come back into the work force for very low compensation. For the amount of money they profit from yearly, and the amount of work a TCA/TCM has to do, the stress and every day work life is not worth it. This place does not hone one's skills, or provide any skills that can translate into another position. If you work for Prometric, the only place you can really transition the skills you do learn here, are at other jobs that are identical, at least for the Proctor side of it. And to that effect... the TCA's and TCM's are treated like disposable meat. And the turnover rate is criminally high. At one point I went through 76 other TCA's as co-workers in a 4 year window, (we staffed no more than 12 people at a time!)

The Computer infrastructure is very low rate and glitchy. Their software, website, and servers are low class and not very sturdy... and 70% of the time a client should expect some glitch to affect their testing day for the worse. 50% of the time it is likely that at least 10% of the people testing will receive a printing error. Their open hours are usually not conducive to people who actually have to work (9-5), so you often have to call off just to take an exam. And since they benefit from you taking more exams, they often try to increase stress to push up failure rate.. which inevitable increases their vendors and their own $$$$profits.

When your foundation is treated like left over crumbs, expect the top to shake.

A lot of changes in management.

Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Rego Park, NY
    Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Rego Park, NY

I have been working at Prometric part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly female coworkers. Learn more about available professional exams. Out of sight, out of mind work. Flexible schedules and location options. Good part-time job for students.

Cons

Short-staffed management team(ONE manager for locations in ~10 states). Angry and stressed test takers. Some policies and procedures we must enforce on test takers and co-workers are very roundabout and inefficient.

Hire experienced people for management who takes responsibility for their center staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Prometric