There are newer employer reviews for Promontory Interfinancial Network

Not great, could be better..

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network

Pros

Pay is decent. Nice facility.

Cons

Management that is out of touch with employees.
A lot is expected of employees with little to no recognition.
Work load can consume your life and it is expected that you give up personal plans or pre-scheduled vacation.
Company does NOT match any portion of 401K contribution.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Promontory for over three years now. I was thrilled when I began here, since it was such a stark contrast to my previous job, where employees were either ignored or micromanaged, and the President of the company seemed always on the verge of an angry outburst.

I immediately saw that there was no "hierarchy" at Promontory and that each employee was valued and treated with respect. Upper management was approachable and welcoming. I was amazed that when I provided feedback (both positive and negative) to my supervisor, she took it seriously and made efforts to either improve things or continue down roads that were working. That's something I've seen play out over and over while I'm here. My work and opinions are valued and when I do the right thing, I'm backed by management- all the way to the top.

Benefits here are great and comprehensive- generous leave and flexible schedules when you need it, great medical at a good cost, dental, vision, 401K match, paid portion of life insurance, paid short term and long term disability, etc. But, the benefits that really make work life enjoyable are monthly themed birthday parties, yearly company picnic, Halloween party, holiday party, monthly brown bag lunch and learns, etc. Not to mention food served throughout the week, casual Fridays, and a laid back, but professional environment.

What makes Promontory great is that everyone works as a team- a team that's diverse, capable and kind, and where everyone is considered important. Hands down, that makes Promontory one of the best places I've worked and why I plan to continue working here as long as I can.

Cons

A few long-term staff have become bitter and jaded over the years and their negativity can be difficult to be around. But, I think, unfortunately, you'll find folks like this at any company.

Continue valuing diversity and including everyone in decisions made, especially when it comes to employee benefits, work/life balance and creating a positive work environment. Don't allow the "bad apples" to poison others, and keep those who value the company, enjoy their work and are motivated to do better, a priority.

2. Steadily growing, becoming better and better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Promontory Interfinancial Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for over 5 years now. I can honestly say each year has been better than the last, both for the company and for my position. The company is relentless in trying to get better. The bar gets raised continually. Yet at the same time, management, particularly the CEO, seems to have a steady hand. We don't whipsaw from one priority to the next as I've experienced with prior employers. We set a course, make alterations as needed, and move ahead.

I think the company in general gives its sales staff and other managers a great deal of autonomy. We have goals but they are realistic. And the company is always aware of the bigger picture. If we miss the mark because of the economic environment, our goals adjust.

In short, this is a young company (I think its only 12 or so years old) but it behaves like a mature one. Except when it doesn't. It sill has a start-up feel and culture. We have monthly parties, fruit Mondays, bagel Wednesday and sweets on Fridays. We wear jeans all summer and every Friday. And the management structure is pretty flat. If you want to talk to the CEO, just talk to him. Or ask him questions at his all-hands meetings. He never shirks them.

One year he spoke to the sales force and their spouses and outlined all the mistakes he made the prior year. Pretty impressive. And the company shares all of its financial information with every employee -- no matter their rank. Frankly, I'm not sure I need to know where we stand with respect to our budget, in detail, every single month. But we can see it if we want to. Our core numbers regarding sales are updated daily on our intranet. This openness is all a legacy of when the company was a genuine startup but I appreciate it.

Cons

The company just started matching 401k benefits last month. Before then, that was a gap. The only other thing that springs to mind is the relative lack of turnover in senior management. While good from the perspective of continuity and that folks don't want to leave -- it does result in fewer vacancies for internal promotions. The only way to get more responsibility is for the company to grow.

Steady as she goes.