Proteus Technologies

There are newer employer reviews for Proteus Technologies

Not Nearly As Bad As Other Reviews Make It Seem

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The people (other engineers and front office staff)
- Medical/Dental benefits
- $14k for training and college
- On site, high quality gym (not talking a couple of machines and a treadmill here)
- Flex hours, pays for overtime hours (contract permitting)
- Plenty of company events/gatherings
- Fantastic process for keeping employees off the bench and on site during contract changes

Cons

- Woefully inadequate communication to employees from upper management (historically)
- Will not pay you as much as a company that's running out of someone's garage

One of the issues with anonymous sites like this is disgruntled former employees can take their frustrations out on a company; while current, happy employees have little-to-no incentive to post feedback. I've been with Proteus for about two years now, and while there have been some serious hiccups in it's recent history it's a small enough company to be able to implement changes and fix issues quickly - and this is exactly what they have been doing for some time now. Some of the issues that have been pointed out here WERE valid, some are serious exaggerations; but many of them have been addressed. An example of this is the company is getting significantly better at communicating and listening to it's technical staff (quarterly town halls and drastically more informative all-hands meetings), and it's really leaning on the employee advocacy group for ideas on how to improve, and acting on them.

I personally believe it's obvious that Proteus is trying to listen to our feedback and improve things, even though it's very easy to be overly negative. We have, as far as I can tell, industry leading benefits. I realize this is of little benefit if you're looking to squeeze every last dollar you can out of your time, but it's an important consideration for some people. Realistically, we're all billed at about the same rate on these contracts, so it's just a matter of finding what balance of benefits/pay is right for you. I like the balance here... you may see it has bloated overhead (in which case this is not the company for you).

I will say we hire high quality engineers and the core group we have here is great. There are plenty of social events to bond with your colleagues (soccer team, happy hours, Run for Your Lives) and I consider many of the people I work with good friends. All things considered, this is a company that is doing the absolute best it can to maintain it's identity in an industry that is extremely competitive and starved for talent/numbers (if you work in this industry, you know exactly what I mean).

That said, I do want to address one particularly ridiculous claim that was made below - "Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career." This could not be further from the truth, and I have no idea where this accusation could even be coming from. The owner of the company is a female, and the primary manager overseeing all of Proteus' IC contracts is a female who started off as an engineer and has worked her way up. I will say that this company is an equally unideal place to "advance your career" for both males and females, depending on what your definition of career advancement is I suppose. By that I mean, if you're looking to chase titles you won't find it here - it's a relatively flat company structure; but if you want to become a better engineer by surrounding yourselves with other fantastic engineers, this is a perfect environment to do that.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Proteus Technologies (View Most Recent)

A Frank Woof's Eye View of Proteus

Current Employee - Senior Member Tech Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Member Tech Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sincere leadership
    Hardworking Backroom support obtaining new contract positions
    Immediate support via phone or email for offsite employees
    Trust in their employees to succeed with their customers independently of direct management
    Good pay and benefits and a support staff improving these when ever possible
    A continual process of improvement supporting employees including paid training, certification, education
    Sustained support of customer needs recognized by upper management
    A real open door access to all levels of management, and there is real interest in what you have to say, because their interests also lay where the employees interests are.

Cons

Only 4% 401k match. Some garage shoppes pay up to 20%, but of course, there is a cost... lack of new work when your contract runs out because there is no 'overhead' in the back room supporting the employee.
    Most work is 'on site' at a customer location. I prefer offsite myself, but some employees feel isolated when not in the same building as their leadership but this is a major portion of the business model of this company. I feel this is a matter of maturity on the part of newer employees that need some 'introduction' to how the real world outside the college lab really works. In many, many ways, what some express as a 'con' in this regard, I see as the greatest 'pro' for the individual that you can obtain in the world 'for free'.

I have found management engaging with all employees from the newest hire to the most senior. I suggest this continue, and continue the culture of openness. Communication, direct, and clear is a strong point with this company, and it grows, it must continue with everyone (I certainly try to do my part as does my direct management line). When employees do not express their feelings, concerns or fears, the natural human tendency is to commit to fight or flight. Individuals always have their own expectations for any employment, any compensation for that employment, and what they are to contribute. Age of an employee is not a factor but the drive of the employee is. Maturity is not a matter of age, but a matter of that drive to be successful. Money alone is not always a measure of success as much as what an employee accomplishes for themselves. Management that leads and trusts the employee to grow is a synergy of the two, and I see that in this company in the areas I work. Employees have a strong drive to succeed in meeting the mission that this company's customer has, and it is demanding, it is hard work, it is very important and when you go home at night, the final evaluation will often reveal that the individual made an actual difference to the nation.

Encouragement to have that kind of success in an employees life and career will continue with this company as it grows, else like other companies it will fade. Management is very aware of this, as they came up this hard progressive line of working hard and often long hours to be personally successful in establishing this company. As new leadership moves up the line, I should like to continue to see this philosophy be instilled in that growth as well. And I see in the coming work and contracts that are on the immediate horizon just those opportunities.

A companies best employees do not often start out that way... they become that way though leadership and opportunity to learn and excel.

Thank you for your time reading.... and watch TOP GEAR when ever possible :-)

An Honest Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Made a couple good friends

Cons

Where to begin:
    1. Upper Management (Too top heavy, Dictatorship mgmt, Zero communication, Seems as though no one has an interest in helping you to broaden or improve your career path: every man for himself, Blatant favoritism (in action, salary, work load), Lots of secrets. It is probably just easier to say that upper management has nothing going on for it with the exception of all of its underlings that make the company "go".
    2. Work/Life balance (Owner belief is that you should have the exact same investment in his company's success as he does...at any cost. Expect to work on weekends, major holidays, after hours, whenever you are told you must)
    3. Advancement: If you aren't best friends with the owner, don't plan on going anywhere. Pretty much the only people seeing market rate increases in salary and title were friends with "C Level" employees. If you aren't ready to bleed Proteus, at any expense, you need not apply. That goes for admin and technical positions.
    4. Serious Lack of Female Leadership: There are already a few reviews addressing this. The dead honest truth is that, as a former female employee, there is not one female to follow after or emulate at this company. The one female in high standing is merely a figure head, helping the company to gain "woman-owned" status. Females who have taken on leadership roles haven't lasted long, as this is your typical "boys club". Women there get hired to look pretty and make copies. It would have been nice to have female leadership guidance while working there.
    5. Salary: You don't get what you deserve for the amount of work you are expected to churn out (this is based on several conversations with both admin and technical employees), nor what the market is offering. You get what is left over after the company has paid for it's (company owned) plane, beach house, cars, and cafe.
    6. Lack of professionalism: Expect to be berated regularly by the very top of management, no matter how hard you try at your job. Also, comments to female employees are grossly inappropriate. Most people here are afraid of ownership and that's exactly how ownership likes it. If you don't want to be anxious going to work everyday, not knowing what kind of mood ownership may be in, pass on applying.
    7. Duty to the Job: Have you ever worked at a company that MAKES you attend social events and gatherings? Attending work functions is part of your review process to get a raise at Proteus. No matter how far away you live, how severe the weather is, or whatever else you have going on in your life, you better be at that Holiday party, or no raise for you!
    8. Reputation: If you're thinking of applying here, ask around the IC and you will soon find that this is not a place you want to be. After I left, I had peers reaching out to me from major gov't contractors, asking me why I waited so long, asking how I lasted as long as I did, and congratulating me for ridding myself of the "Proteus" name. Even just being associated with the name has proved to be embarrassing on may accounts.
    9. Current Status: It is well known in IC that Proteus has taken a recent financial and business tumble. Contracts are scarce, as are employees, money, and morale. Past "perks' I've heard are no longer around, due to the company's poor financial position (summer picnic was held in the company parking lot, as opposed to being a full catered off site event).
    10. Last but not least: CT: Someone mentioned that leadership is "despotic'. That is putting it nicely. If you value your work environment, ownership, your sanity, self respect, and have figured out that you can have it all in a job, skip this place at all costs. Personality disorders, anger issues, power trips....are all running rampant here. Skip it.

Stop writing fake reviews to make the company look good.

There are newer employer reviews for Proteus Technologies