Proteus Technologies
www.proteus-technologies.com Annapolis Junction, MD 50 to 149 Employees

Not Nearly As Bad As Other Reviews Make It Seem

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros- The people (other engineers and front office staff)
- Medical/Dental benefits
- $14k for training and college
- On site, high quality gym (not talking a couple of machines and a treadmill here)
- Flex hours, pays for overtime hours (contract permitting)
- Plenty of company events/gatherings
- Fantastic process for keeping employees off the bench and on site during contract changes

Cons- Woefully inadequate communication to employees from upper management (historically)
- Will not pay you as much as a company that's running out of someone's garage

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the issues with anonymous sites like this is disgruntled former employees can take their frustrations out on a company; while current, happy employees have little-to-no incentive to post feedback. I've been with Proteus for about two years now, and while there have been some serious hiccups in it's recent history it's a small enough company to be able to implement changes and fix issues quickly - and this is exactly what they have been doing for some time now. Some of the issues that have been pointed out here WERE valid, some are serious exaggerations; but many of them have been addressed. An example of this is the company is getting significantly better at communicating and listening to it's technical staff (quarterly town halls and drastically more informative all-hands meetings), and it's really leaning on the employee advocacy group for ideas on how to improve, and acting on them.

I personally believe it's obvious that Proteus is trying to listen to our feedback and improve things, even though it's very easy to be overly negative. We have, as far as I can tell, industry leading benefits. I realize this is of little benefit if you're looking to squeeze every last dollar you can out of your time, but it's an important consideration for some people. Realistically, we're all billed at about the same rate on these contracts, so it's just a matter of finding what balance of benefits/pay is right for you. I like the balance here... you may see it has bloated overhead (in which case this is not the company for you).

I will say we hire high quality engineers and the core group we have here is great. There are plenty of social events to bond with your colleagues (soccer team, happy hours, Run for Your Lives) and I consider many of the people I work with good friends. All things considered, this is a company that is doing the absolute best it can to maintain it's identity in an industry that is extremely competitive and starved for talent/numbers (if you work in this industry, you know exactly what I mean).

That said, I do want to address one particularly ridiculous claim that was made below - "Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career." This could not be further from the truth, and I have no idea where this accusation could even be coming from. The owner of the company is a female, and the primary manager overseeing all of Proteus' IC contracts is a female who started off as an engineer and has worked her way up. I will say that this company is an equally unideal place to "advance your career" for both males and females, depending on what your definition of career advancement is I suppose. By that I mean, if you're looking to chase titles you won't find it here - it's a relatively flat company structure; but if you want to become a better engineer by surrounding yourselves with other fantastic engineers, this is a perfect environment to do that.

Great atmosphere for technical career development and some of the best benefits in the industry

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: -Best Medical benefits I have seen in industry -Best Career Development benefits I have seen in industry ($14K college/training almost always approved within a few days,… Cons: -If you are not willing to invest time into your career development, the company takes a hard stance on that. The company favors those… Advice to Senior Management: -Continue to improve communication -Take more risks. Invest earlier and get out of bad investments earlier.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A Frank Woof's Eye View of Proteus

Senior Member Tech Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros: Sincere leadership Hardworking Backroom support obtaining new contract positions Immediate support via phone or email for offsite employees Trust in their employees to succeed with their customers independently… Cons: Only 4% 401k match. Some garage shoppes pay up to 20%, but of course, there is a cost... lack of new work when… Advice to Senior Management: I have found management engaging with all employees from the newest hire to the most senior. I suggest this continue, and continue the culture… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Proteus Technologies.

Worked for Proteus Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Proteus Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Proteus Technologies CEO Teresa M. Taylor. All reviews posted anonymously by Proteus Technologies employees.