Proteus Technologies

There are newer employer reviews for Proteus Technologies

A great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jessup, MD
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jessup, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The managers are very honest, the company as a whole is interested in their employees' well-being, the company is stable financially, and open communication is encouraged and achieved through regular all-hands meetings and easy access to managers and directors. I like the small-company feel, even though they are a mid-size company; I feel like I can access everyone from peers to the CEO.

Cons

Nothing blatant comes to mind. They are not a massive company, so they do not have some of the benefits found at big companies (like elaborate parties or renting out a movie theater).

I like our informal events, like game night and cookouts.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Proteus Technologies (View Most Recent)

Short-timer, but so far, so good. Great opportunities, lots of contracts and positions, and lots of training available.

Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Only been at the company for 6 months, but received training as soon as I started. The employees seem to have a great bond with one another, especially ones that have been there awhile; it is an encouraging environment with many talented engineers. The management has engaged with us in "Town Hall" meetings, which are held quarterly, they just started a mentorship pilot program for the employees, and we just recently won a prime contract. The All Hands at the end of last year was very informative (a little lengthy), but management really communicated where we are as a company and how we are doing financially, and the business opportunities we are chasing.

Cons

It is difficult to connect with other employees at Proteus when we are placed on a contract by ourselves. Some of the contracts only have 1 or 2 Proteus employees working on them, so that is disappointing since I am in that position right now.

Just keep the lines of communication open and help us to win more prime contracts.

Not Nearly As Bad As Other Reviews Make It Seem

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The people (other engineers and front office staff)
    - Medical/Dental benefits
    - $14k for training and college
    - On site, high quality gym (not talking a couple of machines and a treadmill here)
    - Flex hours, pays for overtime hours (contract permitting)
    - Plenty of company events/gatherings
    - Fantastic process for keeping employees off the bench and on site during contract changes

Cons

- Woefully inadequate communication to employees from upper management (historically)
    - Will not pay you as much as a company that's running out of someone's garage

One of the issues with anonymous sites like this is disgruntled former employees can take their frustrations out on a company; while current, happy employees have little-to-no incentive to post feedback. I've been with Proteus for about two years now, and while there have been some serious hiccups in it's recent history it's a small enough company to be able to implement changes and fix issues quickly - and this is exactly what they have been doing for some time now. Some of the issues that have been pointed out here WERE valid, some are serious exaggerations; but many of them have been addressed. An example of this is the company is getting significantly better at communicating and listening to it's technical staff (quarterly town halls and drastically more informative all-hands meetings), and it's really leaning on the employee advocacy group for ideas on how to improve, and acting on them.

I personally believe it's obvious that Proteus is trying to listen to our feedback and improve things, even though it's very easy to be overly negative. We have, as far as I can tell, industry leading benefits. I realize this is of little benefit if you're looking to squeeze every last dollar you can out of your time, but it's an important consideration for some people. Realistically, we're all billed at about the same rate on these contracts, so it's just a matter of finding what balance of benefits/pay is right for you. I like the balance here... you may see it has bloated overhead (in which case this is not the company for you).

I will say we hire high quality engineers and the core group we have here is great. There are plenty of social events to bond with your colleagues (soccer team, happy hours, Run for Your Lives) and I consider many of the people I work with good friends. All things considered, this is a company that is doing the absolute best it can to maintain it's identity in an industry that is extremely competitive and starved for talent/numbers (if you work in this industry, you know exactly what I mean).

That said, I do want to address one particularly ridiculous claim that was made below - "Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career." This could not be further from the truth, and I have no idea where this accusation could even be coming from. The owner of the company is a female, and the primary manager overseeing all of Proteus' IC contracts is a female who started off as an engineer and has worked her way up. I will say that this company is an equally unideal place to "advance your career" for both males and females, depending on what your definition of career advancement is I suppose. By that I mean, if you're looking to chase titles you won't find it here - it's a relatively flat company structure; but if you want to become a better engineer by surrounding yourselves with other fantastic engineers, this is a perfect environment to do that.

There are newer employer reviews for Proteus Technologies