Proteus Technologies

It's an alright job

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Proteus Technologies

Pros

Challenging work. Good pay. Nice Benefits. Gym's a plus.

Cons

eh. seems to be pretty similar to any other government contractor. If you've done it once it's pretty similar.

Advice to Management

Everyone was friendly, but if you're looking to grab new talent out of college you got to ease up. The pitch is good I'd say, just mellow out. No one can output quality work for 8 hours a day. If you're an engineer you'll get burned out too fast. So encourage the project through team work, but maybe allow some time for employees to be creative and contribute. Too many times i see just code monkeys and not engineers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great people, great benefits with fair compensation

Former Employee - Program Manager/Technical Expert in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager/Technical Expert in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with Proteus for a little over a year and had a great experience. The company staff is full of smart people who do everything they can to take care of their employees. Proteus offers benefits that are some of the best in any industry and they compensate with very reasonable salaries. I was a little shocked by the negative comments on this site. I got to see the company from multiple angles, both on contract, and from the program management/leadership side. Some of the criticisms are way overstated. I was afforded a tremendous amount of opportunities to further my professional education, learn new things, and help influence change. As long as you work hard, are proactive and have a good attitude, Proteus is a great place to work.

Cons

Proteus is a small business breaking out of its shell. With that comes some growing pains and organizational challenges. They are managing it well, and improving as they go. Things are headed in a positive direction.

Advice to Management

Systemize every repeatable process possible. Definable systems allow you to make expectations clear to everyone both up and down the chain of command.

So much potential but such a disappointment.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies

Pros

- Small company where you're able to develop close relationships with most everyone should you choose to. - 2 prime contracts with interesting work and a large subcontract portfolio. Opportunities are not lacking (if you're a software developer). - Great medical benefits with low monthly premiums. - Hires some of the best people in the industry, engineers and managers alike. My manager was one of the best I've had, and some of the other managers were just as great. I made a lot of friend while at Proteus. - Competitive salaries. - Cool gym.

Cons

- Training benefit looks great on paper, but in practice, is a different story. Don't expect to get a training/certification approved unless it's of immediate value to the company which is quite frustrating for engineers who are trying to take that next step in their career. They say they'd like to have you at the company for the long-term, but how would that work when career advancement isn't supported by the company's very own training benefit? - They have a ton of opportunities and promise mobility between contracts but a) are very secretive about what's open for fear you might want to change positions and b) won't actually move you unless they absolutely have to (maybe you're on the bench or maybe you've threatened resignation). They'll hire someone new to the company before they take care of their own people. - If they do happen to entertain your request to move to a different position, they'll tell you that you have a choice on what program/position to go to but you really don't. Expect to go to one of their prime contracts even if you'd rather go elsewhere. And if you refuse, expect for that to come up around review time (because you weren't a team player). - HR is frustrating and slow to respond if they respond at all. It was much easier to pay them a visit as you could forget getting a response via email. - Their priorities are misplaced. They continue to make superficial improvements to the office (new interviewing room, ping-pong tables) but won't reward their people for going above and beyond. For example, they promised a recruiting bonus for helping out on interviews but come time to pay out, the bonus had been eliminated......perhaps because it had been spent on ping-pong tables? Which brings me to my next con... - They have ping-pong tables which are great but don't plan on playing with them more than once a year unless you want to get reprimanded. As long as I'm putting in 8 solid hours, does it matter how I spend my breaks? - Most of the "best people in the industry" I mentioned in the "pro" section have also since left. Recruiting/Security/Managers - all gone in a few short months. Hmmmmm.

Advice to Management

In an industry where good people can go anywhere they want, you should probably take better care of who you have. Invest in training. Give people options. Embrace open communication and consistency. Follow through with your promises. Treat people with respect.