Providence School District

www.providenceschools.org

District is rife with excessive internal problems

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsMany fabulous, caring families who attend give time and effort
Many people work hard to serve students
Dedicated teachers in every school

ConsDistrict lacks accountability and transparency for the actions taken by principals.

Mayor and school board micromanages district personnel by firing over 1900 teachers without just cause, without a plan on how to rehire teachers.

Mayor and school board ignored contract that was signed 2 1/2 years earlier.Total disregard for teachers' lives.

Advice to Senior Management*Change school board so it is elected by the people, for the people in the city of Providence, (not appointed by the mayor) so school board will have more accountability for its actions.

*Demand more accountability and transparency of principals so their actions will be clear and public when they have issues with teachers. They need to answer to a higher authority: a head of schools (whose actions are held accountable) with strict guidelines for informing the public of problems that persist in schools, as well as successes in schools.

*Correct problems before they get out of hand. Provide higher level of internal support for teachers and other employees within the school system.

*Involve as many key players (parents, teachers, union, administration) in the solution, action, and implementation of solutions to problems school are having.

*Plan early for school improvement. Administration must join forces with teachers union and school board to get any real work accomplished as we ALL try to move students forward. Otherwise, it is like a nasty divorce where the children become pawns and no work gets done as the split becomes increasingly bitter.

ccw/cna

CCW (Current Employee) Providence, RI

I have been working at Providence School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: secure job, helping the people that need help Cons: do not get pay in the summer unless you work Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Inconsistent vision, remedies and administation support

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) Providence, RI

I have been working at Providence School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Best of intentions and many great kids Cons: Administration expects us to work as a team when that… Advice to Senior Management: Stop changing approaches and stick with a direction and facilitate… More

There are newer reviews on Providence School District.

Worked for Providence School District? Contribute to the Community!