There are newer employer reviews for Prudential

Misleading at First

Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate
Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate

I worked at Prudential

Pros

The FPA position is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to switch careers or who already has experience in the insurance, sales or marketing industry. If you have a lot of business contacts, or have a true passion for sales, go for it. If you have people lined up who need insurance then you will succeed immediately. This position is purely an entreprenuership opportunity, so if you have money saved to invest in your own business, this is the opportunity for you. The managers sometimes let you make your own hours, some people in the office don't work fridays. They provide a lot of perks upon transition to full time and good health benefits with a lot of options.

Cons

If you need to start work immediately, do not apply for this position. The licensing alone can take a few months. You are not allowed to learn the licensing material at your own pace. They rush you through almost 20 chapters of material in 2-3 weeks, and an 8 chapter course in 1 week if you currently are not working full time. They are extremely pushy and the training is done under micromanagement. Your pay is mostly based on commissions you make from sales plus bonuses if you do well in sales, which can be slightly unpredictable and risky. What I did not like is that they do not pay you an hourly base rate for being in the office. Everything, even your draw account, is only there because you made a sale. If you are excellent in sales and have a long list of clientele, go for it. However if you slightly doubt that you may not have the people to sell to off the bat, it is a lot of pressure and you have to start networking. The training is mostly all self-study, the managers do little to help you study the concepts of the acutal material to pass the state exams. If you are a college student who has a boat load of student loans to pay off, I strongly suggest you do not apply for this position because you will have to invest your own money at first to build your business with Prudential. Not good for someone who is just starting out who is inexperienced in sales.

When I asked questions during the first few interviews, they only told me what I needed to know at the moment. They never answered my questions completely. I had a lot of hidden surprises down the line which resulted in my resignation. They took advantage of their phone priviledges. My trainer called me up to 3 times a day when I was not in the office. There is no work life balance.

654 Other Employee Reviews for Prudential (View Most Recent)

Excellent

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Work life balance, alternate work arrangements

Cons

Too much politics. Some incompetent leaders in important positions

Neutral

Former Employee - Life Underwriter
    Former Employee - Life Underwriter

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Working remotely is a huge plus. The company makes major decisions carefully and conservatively. Good training for technical and medical.

Cons

Nothing specific, just the usual office issues that come up with every employer. There will always be staff/management who portray favoritism (happens at every employer though).

There are newer employer reviews for Prudential