There are newer employer reviews for Prudential

Prudential is one of the best places to work!

Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

I have been with Prudential 25 years now in a variety of different roles and business groups. Prudential has an enormous amount of opportunities for the hard-working, qualified, and motivated employees. If you are not satisfied with Pru it is likely your own fault and you should look within yourself and your job performance. Unfortunately too many people today feel a sense of entitlement - grow up! You aren't entitled to anything you don't work hard for. And, if you are unfortunate enough to work for management who doesn't recognize your hard efforts - post out! Another wonderful Prudential benefit is the job posting board - you are eligible to post after you have been in an assignment for at least a year.

You are the only one who has control over your career. Prudential has personally offered me many growth and diversified opportunities. I climbed the "ladder" so to speak through hard work, dedication and motivation and not for any other reason. If I was ever in an area where I didn't respect management I took ownership of my career and posted out.

Prudential also offers one of the best work-life balance programs a company can offer to employees. There are so many flexible working options offered to the high performers, which is one of the top reasons I stay with the company - it is a priceless benefit to have.

Cons

Lack of consistency between management. I have observed management across lines of business are not consistent with how they manage people. Some areas fully support benefits such as work/life balance and others do not even consider it. Same with compensation. Prudential has a very generous compensation plan. We are all highly paid for what we do. The decisions on compensation, however, are very subjective and inconsistent strategies are used in the varying HR departments.

Being in management I think I also have a right to say that too many managers ignore employee issues and do not take the courage to confront the issues and help empoyees grow. For a company that his cutting back so significantly on bonuses and comp they should really be getting rid of all the dead weight. Get a "set" and show us your true leadership.

See above.

reviews filtered by

Let's get our stock price back up to 95!

Current Employee - Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Diversity and work/life balance is emphasized greatly. Free parking and a ton of vaction days are granted each year. commuting to the Newark offices is very easy and connected through Penn Station Newark. Prudential fosters internal growth for all employees. Many of the current executives and "higher-ups" have started from the bottem and worked their way to the top. Educaiton and hard work is essential to succeed at Prudential for laziness is exposed very easiely. Tuition reimbursement is also another great benefit offered to employees and Rutgers is walking distance. Also, the new Prudential center is directly across the street and makes a good night out for events.

Cons

Salary and bonus is low compared to other financial fimrs

Pay more!

Classic example of corporate America. Acceptable, but not exceptional.

Current Employee - Senior Copywriting Specialist in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Copywriting Specialist in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

Solid financial company prepared to weather difficult times. Formal programs for time off and work life balance. No drama, calm personalities working in a professional manner. Company provides a wide range of good voluntary benefits. There is an environment of respect among peers and from managers to subordinates. There is open communications from senior management regarding the state of the business. Is an innovator in terms of adapting new technologies and streamlining the way business is conducted. Efforts are being made to remove the jargon and unfrienfly language from the company communications. HR support is available if needed and provided in confidence.

Cons

Leadership examples do not reinforce the time off and work-life balance programs. Even though the written policies emphasize the importance of work-life balance, the examples set by many managers tend to discourage people from taking advantage of the policies. Lack of clear direction from middle management. Projects are often begun with insufficient and even inaccurate information. Too much emphasis is placed on meeting deadlines versus actually having all the information to execute well. A high degree of siloing makes it hard to get the big picture view of a project. There is an unspoken push to have people take on too many projects and agree to unreasonable deadlines.

Instruct middle managers to actively support time off and work-life balance policies. Clarify the goal of projects before they begin. Provide accurate information on the execution of the projects.

There are newer employer reviews for Prudential