There are newer employer reviews for Prudential

Not what I signed up for

Current Employee - FPA Career Development Program  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - FPA Career Development Program in Austin, TX

I have been working at Prudential part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Strong product and brand recognition
 - You get a cubicle and a phone
 - You get a laptop if you ask for it.
 - Laid back manager is easy to work with and a genuinely nice guy
 - Pretty great coworkers
 - Good online self-paced training
 - Kid-Friendly
 - Good Wholesaler support

Cons

- One manager with no admin support cannot cover appointments for 10 reps.
 - Manager frequently cancels appointments and leaves the office to "run errands."
 - In CDP you are forbidden to close a sale without supervision.
 - I lost several sales due to lack of management support.
 - I had multiple ethical conflicts with the manager. Read the rules and be prepared to say "no."
 - Training program looks great on paper. Reality is we see a trainer every 2-3 weeks
 - Trainer talks about his career for 45 minutes, covers the training material for 15 minutes, and passes around the sign-in sheet. Later they "prove" that they trained you.
 - Austin office is managed by Houston. You can't mail anything or get supplies like paper and printer ink unless it comes from Houston. All HR and compliance support also comes from Houston.
 - Compensation is 45% of GDR base with E-Bonus of 14% in the first year. AXA is 55% + 30%
 - I was given an external hard drive and told to buy a laptop. Other reps were given laptops.
 - I received no marketing support and no prospecting support.
 - The answer to most questions is, "call the help desk."
 - I was discouraged by my manager from working with any other experienced agent including wholesalers and the advanced markets team.
 - I was told there was a $32K "training stipend." That is not true.

- Reps should begin prospecting for term life insurance as soon as they are licensed
 - Lack of training hurts everyone. What I experienced is an insult to the Brand.
 - One man cannot run an office and cover 10 reps with no support.
 - Calling Houston to send us printer ink is stupid.
 - Trainees are not qualified to take a consultative approach or do financial planning. Tell it like it is: you're here to sell life insurance and annuities for Prudential.
 - Helping reps prospect efficiently is good for everyone.

635 Other Employee Reviews for Prudential (View Most Recent)

Location is both a blessing and a curse

Current Employee - Strategy  in  Newark, NY
    Current Employee - Strategy in Newark, NY

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong commitment to social causes, both in and out of the company; great benefits relative to other large companies; decent pay for flexible hours; access to very senior leaders can be possible if you are in the right role and show capability.

Cons

Newark is not that pleasant; very political organization - your bonus and advancement can depend on whose butt you kiss; they are a dinosaur when it comes to technology; low performers can hide and stick around because people committee everything to death.

Not everyone can be a manager of people - please recognize that a poor manager can cause terrible shockwaves and demotivate even the most talented employees. If you really want to be known for talent, allow your feedback process to weed out bad managers (360 degree feedback would help). That doesn't mean they are bad workers, just should not be supervising people.

Prudential has been a good place to work - however, I think they need to up the pay scale to meet the marketplace.

Current Employee - Process Management  in  Fort Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Process Management in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work/Life balance is excellent, benefits are also good, and the networking organizations within the company are worth the time and effort, management training is good - however, I think there can be more training for associates transitioning into new roles.

Cons

Pay is too low for middle management and project management positions, and the company is so very big, its easy to lose sight of the big picture.

None - if I could be doing a better job than they are - I would do it!

There are newer employer reviews for Prudential

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!