Movement Very Difficult

Former Employee - Process Management Specialist  in  Newark, NJ
Former Employee - Process Management Specialist in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Benefits. Expensive but excellent choices. The perks are nice too... lots of nice to haves. If your in a small area, really good at your job you can stay in the position forever. There are hardly and terminations for cause.

Cons

People stay in their jobs for too long so there's very new talent. It's not unusaual to see employees celebrating 30,35 years and have 6 or 7 of these within one department. This makes it very difficult to move around within the company at mid-management levels. Also posting into new positions is almost impossible. Hiring managers already have a candidate identified and will interview others just as a matter of process. It's very easy to get stuck in a position and have no where to go except to leave the company.

Create some structured career paths so that employees are not sitting in the same positions for 30+ years. Cross train, rotate people etc.

Other Reviews for Prudential

Nice place to work, but lots of bureaucracy and clique mentality in some areas

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Prudential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great overall pay and benefits. Nice mission

Cons

Employee may easily hit the glass ceiling. Extremely risk averse. Slow ship to turn. Managed to a next quarter and keeps changing goals faster than employees learn the previous ones.

Take a chance on your employees for advancement

Not what I signed up for

Current Employee - FPA Career Development Program  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - FPA Career Development Program in Austin, TX

I have been working at Prudential part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Strong product and brand recognition
     - You get a cubicle and a phone
     - You get a laptop if you ask for it.
     - Laid back manager is easy to work with and a genuinely nice guy
     - Pretty great coworkers
     - Good online self-paced training
     - Kid-Friendly
     - Good Wholesaler support

Cons

- One manager with no admin support cannot cover appointments for 10 reps.
     - Manager frequently cancels appointments and leaves the office to "run errands."
     - In CDP you are forbidden to close a sale without supervision.
     - I lost several sales due to lack of management support.
     - I had multiple ethical conflicts with the manager. Read the rules and be prepared to say "no."
     - Training program looks great on paper. Reality is we see a trainer every 2-3 weeks
     - Trainer talks about his career for 45 minutes, covers the training material for 15 minutes, and passes around the sign-in sheet. Later they "prove" that they trained you.
     - Austin office is managed by Houston. You can't mail anything or get supplies like paper and printer ink unless it comes from Houston. All HR and compliance support also comes from Houston.
     - Compensation is 45% of GDR base with E-Bonus of 14% in the first year. AXA is 55% + 30%
     - I was given an external hard drive and told to buy a laptop. Other reps were given laptops.
     - I received no marketing support and no prospecting support.
     - The answer to most questions is, "call the help desk."
     - I was discouraged by my manager from working with any other experienced agent including wholesalers and the advanced markets team.
     - I was told there was a $32K "training stipend." That is not true.

- Reps should begin prospecting for term life insurance as soon as they are licensed
     - Lack of training hurts everyone. What I experienced is an insult to the Brand.
     - One man cannot run an office and cover 10 reps with no support.
     - Calling Houston to send us printer ink is stupid.
     - Trainees are not qualified to take a consultative approach or do financial planning. Tell it like it is: you're here to sell life insurance and annuities for Prudential.
     - Helping reps prospect efficiently is good for everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for Prudential.

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!