There are newer employer reviews for Prudential

Solid portfolio of businesses in state of transition

Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission focused on helping working savers and solving challenges runs deep.
Executive leadership is beginning to focus on removing legacy inefficiencies / obstacles.
Business mix is balanced and has many untapped growth-through-integration opportunities.

Cons

Many control functions and technologies (e.g. Lotus Notes) are stuck in the 20th century.
Maintains an "old school" hierarchy and corporate culture borrowed from bankers brought in from the 80's / 90's.
Acquired companies tend to not blend in easily or integrate fully with Corporate.

Prudential has a very complex, dated internal business system. Reduce overhead and increase associate satisfaction by simplifying/streamlining that system.

654 Other Employee Reviews for Prudential (View Most Recent)

Prudential A Place You Don't Want To Be

Former Employee - Settlement Options Processor in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Settlement Options Processor in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Prudential provides a good benefits package including health insurance, vacation pay and the opportunity to work from home when you don't feel like working in an unsanitary office.

Cons

I was horribly surprised with my experience working at Prudential. I found a work environment filled with people who had worked there for many years and seemed satisfied to just go through the motions of their job. There were people there who actually fought change and modernization of processes. Executives seemed to be oblivious to the details of the processing of various insurance transactions and seemed more interested in their own careers and advancement. I honestly never felt as if my vice president gave a hoot about me or my career. The other thing that really surprised me was how poor the work environment was maintained. My floor had rodents running around during business hours. We started pulling out drawers from unoccupied desks and found all sorts of debris and rodent nests. We finally got management to set traps and started to set our own. The other thing we had to deal with was moldy carpeting that I was told had been moldy for 20+ years. Employees complained about outbreaks of rashes. There also had been approximately 12 current and former employees from our floor who were diagnosed with all sorts of cancers. After complaints management refused to replace the carpeting. All of this creeped me out and I found another job elsewhere.

Take a genuine interest in your lower level employee's jobs and work environment and worry less about your own career and your big bonuses.

Nearly Impossible to stay for long

Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Irving, TX

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom ove your schedule

Cons

low pay, no salary (100% commission), no support, little training, no strong management, old fashioned company (ie. I couldn't scan documents to clients, which made things very inconvenient & impossible sometimes)

Manager MUST have the ability to perform well. One out of seven managers in my office was proficient at his job. After working there for two years it became obvious that if you were a minority at Prudential then you would get promoted regardless of your level of talent. This affected the entire sales team because the managers didn't know how to manage. Though well-intentioned and nice people their strong suites were definitely somewhere else. That's why I left. It was impossible to progress in my career if no one around me knew how to show me the steps to get there.

There are newer employer reviews for Prudential