There are newer employer reviews for Prudential

Not exactly what I was told when recruited

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

some flexability, people really do need the products. You do have the opportunity to "own" your own business.

Cons

Training was the worst I have seen at any job. The training manager was more worries about herself than doing a good job, had no knowledge of the products being sold and was a joke. Management changed every couple months. It does not make you feel good when you have three managers in a year. They talk about giving people leads but when they finally do, they are old, are not valid, or in areas you cannot even afford to drive to.

Advice to Management

Give people a real chance to get started. A small salary would be a great help.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A career that ROCKS!

Current Employee - Director, Training in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director, Training in Portland, OR

I have been working at Prudential

Pros

For hardworking and motivated individuals, Prudential has much to offer. I joined right out of college and have had endless opportunities, unlike any of my peers at other organizations and in different industries. Opportunity exists to be of great service to clients while at the same time earn great financial rewards.

Cons

Very big. Sometimes can be difficult to work through maze of resources. However, the size also brings with it benefits such as name recognition, great benefits and unlimited career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Recruit from college campuses. I think there is an entire generation of students who would be interested in 'writing their own tickets', which they'll be able to at Prudential.

Good company, bad job for someone with a family and expenses.

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Wyomissing, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Wyomissing, PA

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Some of the best things that come with working at Prudential include some of the better products in the industry and each agent was given a new Lenovo Think Pad T61 to use for work. The office was small but it allowed for new agents to work closely with vereran agents who were willing to help new agents understand the industry. During the first year new agents were given sales leads that would cost other agents $25 a piece so there was some value in that program. Managers were accessable and helpful for the first few months. The fact that Prudential has been around for over 125 years helps for name recognition.

Cons

The downsides are many. Pay is full commission and no salary. Unless you earn over $2400 in a 2 week period you will never earn over $600 per week. The money is put into an account for weeks that an agent earns no money. While this might be nice if you are struggling, it is frustrating for those who are doing well and not receiving compensation that is rewarding. Management is unrealistic in their expectations without giving the agents the tools and training that is required to meet expectations. The hours required to make a decent living are too much for anyone with a family and expenses such as a car or house payment. 50-60 hours are the minimum to get an average pay and that is just not enough in today's economy.

Advice to Management

Senior management is oblivious to the struggles of new agents. They are willing to hire anyone since there is no salary involved. My advice is to pay new agents a salary and allow them to build a book of business that can provide for them for the years after the salary expires. I have seen many new agents come in and work very hard only to give up soon after since the hours worked were not always rewarded with proportionate pay. I also think that giving new agents a mentor would help the agent grow into the position with the right skills and expectations.