Public Citizen
www.citizen.org Washington, DC 50 to 149 Employees

Rewarding experience, don't expect to get paid

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Public Citizen as an intern for less than a year

ProsI really enjoyed the mission of the team I was working on. It was very rewarding to know that I was working towards a change.
One of my managers was very nice, and I felt a deep connection with him.
Generally, you will find other progressive, like minded people working here.

ConsThey do not pay you for internships. I understand that this is common, but it seems unjust and hypocritical for such a far left organization, especially one that is so favorable to labor unions. The only people that can afford to do unpaid internships are middle class college students, so the organization is discriminating against lower class people and segregating their workplace. In my department, it was clear that they took on interns because the two staff members could not handle all the work themselves. It seems unjust that they would pay two staff members and then bring on more, essentially staff members, for the cheapest labor possible - free.
Campaign organizing is a great experience, but if you want to do it as a career and are starting off, you will be lucky to make 25k, if anything at all. Not to mention, it does not really give you skills that transfer to any other type of job.
Staff was a little snobby - several people scoffed when I told them I live in Maryland instead of in the city (Washington, DC). How do you expect an unpaid intern to live in such an expensive city?

Internship not as advertised.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Public Citizen as an intern for less than a year

Pros: If you are far to the left, don't mind working with… Cons: The internship position was not as advertised online or what was discussed in the interview. Intern assignments could have easily been tasked to a high… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Internship was rewarding, but would have benefited from more structure

Research Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Public Citizen as an intern for less than a year

Pros: I was an unpaid intern at the Congress Watch division of PC (on Penn. SW near Third, not at "HQ"). I enjoyed the work I… Cons: The project I was working on didn't lead to an identifiable work product that I could later point to… Advice to Senior Management: Provide a bit more oversight, so that interns are assigned to projects that are likely to reach some level of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Public Citizen.

Worked for Public Citizen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Public Citizen reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Public Citizen employees.