Public Consulting Group

www.publicconsultinggroup.com
  www.publicconsultinggroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group

Toxic environment, stay away. It gets MUCH better once you leave

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location. Convenient to multiple public transportation lines.
Some of the people are nice, a lot are smart and hard working.

Cons

Where to start...
Lower level staff are given no respect at all. Quote from a manager in Human Services regarding the hiring of a new business analyst: "Can't we just pick someone off the street to do what they do?"

The pay is horrible. They pay WELL below industry average. The bonus structure is decent, but does not even come close to making up for the low salary. While the pay is terrible at the bottom, it's great at the top. Bill and the rest of his partners make millions.

Long hours. People are routinely "asked" to work nights and weekends. When a senior consultant asked management how they were supposed to stay billable while working on so many proposals, they were told that "proposal work is meant to be done on your time." Young staff, often young female staff, are often volunteered to stay late (like 11pm or so) to work on proposals that make management more money (their bonus is tied to the revenue they bring in), but doesn't do a thing for them. In fact, if you volunteer to stay late "to show you're a team player" you frequently get "asked" to do the same again and again.

No work/life balance. This goes hand and hand with long hours, but women should definitely think twice about working here. It's definitely an "old boys club." Many of the higher up women in the company are single with no children. I did not want that to happen to me. This place takes over your life, so if having a family or any type of work/life balance is important to you, stay away.

Toxic Environment. Young staff is "encouraged" to stay late (passed 6pm) to put in face time. The later you stay the more it gives the appearance of working hard. What ever happened to rewarding people based on the actual merits of their work and not how much face time they put in?

IT. Very frequent IT issues. The email system went down on a weekly, almost daily basis. The drive where all your files are stored frequently gets full, and IT is forced to ask you to delete files before you can save new files. I didn't have great insight into the IT dept, but from reading the reviews some have posted, it doesn't seem to be their fault, just lack of investment/caring by upper management. As is typical, they try to get people to get their work done by spending as little money as possible.

Poor Quality of work. PCG tries to sell its "expertise" in a lot of different fields. To all the PCG clients out there: the people who sold you on the fact that they could do the work are not the same people who actually do the work. The work is actually done by recent college grads in their early twenties with no real expertise or knowledge of Medicare laws. We would make things up on the fly, and our managers would accept it, because let's face it...they didn't know any better either.

See above

121 Other Employee Reviews for Public Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

Decent company. Nothing is perfect. Decent ITS

Former Employee - Vmware Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vmware Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

New technologies to learn in IT.

Fast pace

Great bonus

ITS Director takes care of you by sending to training and understanding your needs.

Also he is very loyal and understands if you're late or working from home on occasion.

He tells you what to improve and you gives you opportunity to grow.

If you work hard- rewards are garanteed

He has been in my position before and knows what takes to become a better systems engineer

Rome was not built in one day, and as Obama says, loyal and hard working people will make a difference.

During my employment in ITS he was super loayal and helped grow as an architect.

I moved on and miss the team now!

Cons

Give more respect to ITS, they really deserved it, they really do. Everyone of us worked hard, sometimes sleeping two hour per night and being sick.
    This is the most hard-working department.
    Be loyal to them. Things are getting better!

Invest more money into IT, into people, into training and you will see good results!

Loyal and productive employees are always rewarded

Current Employee - IT Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great and dynamic place to work, new technology, rapid change, never bored. Many opportunities to learn and collaborate.

Cons

Legacy skills in a few individuals who may not want to change or learn.

Keep building a progressively improved environment to provide opportunities for people interested in being challenged.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group

Worked for Public Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!