Public Consulting Group

www.publicconsultinggroup.com

Toxic environment, stay away. It gets MUCH better once you leave

Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat location. Convenient to multiple public transportation lines.
Some of the people are nice, a lot are smart and hard working.

ConsWhere to start...
Lower level staff are given no respect at all. Quote from a manager in Human Services regarding the hiring of a new business analyst: "Can't we just pick someone off the street to do what they do?"

The pay is horrible. They pay WELL below industry average. The bonus structure is decent, but does not even come close to making up for the low salary. While the pay is terrible at the bottom, it's great at the top. Bill and the rest of his partners make millions.

Long hours. People are routinely "asked" to work nights and weekends. When a senior consultant asked management how they were supposed to stay billable while working on so many proposals, they were told that "proposal work is meant to be done on your time." Young staff, often young female staff, are often volunteered to stay late (like 11pm or so) to work on proposals that make management more money (their bonus is tied to the revenue they bring in), but doesn't do a thing for them. In fact, if you volunteer to stay late "to show you're a team player" you frequently get "asked" to do the same again and again.

No work/life balance. This goes hand and hand with long hours, but women should definitely think twice about working here. It's definitely an "old boys club." Many of the higher up women in the company are single with no children. I did not want that to happen to me. This place takes over your life, so if having a family or any type of work/life balance is important to you, stay away.

Toxic Environment. Young staff is "encouraged" to stay late (passed 6pm) to put in face time. The later you stay the more it gives the appearance of working hard. What ever happened to rewarding people based on the actual merits of their work and not how much face time they put in?

IT. Very frequent IT issues. The email system went down on a weekly, almost daily basis. The drive where all your files are stored frequently gets full, and IT is forced to ask you to delete files before you can save new files. I didn't have great insight into the IT dept, but from reading the reviews some have posted, it doesn't seem to be their fault, just lack of investment/caring by upper management. As is typical, they try to get people to get their work done by spending as little money as possible.

Poor Quality of work. PCG tries to sell its "expertise" in a lot of different fields. To all the PCG clients out there: the people who sold you on the fact that they could do the work are not the same people who actually do the work. The work is actually done by recent college grads in their early twenties with no real expertise or knowledge of Medicare laws. We would make things up on the fly, and our managers would accept it, because let's face it...they didn't know any better either.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Loyal and productive employees are always rewarded

IT Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great and dynamic place to work, new technology, rapid change,… Cons: Legacy skills in a few individuals who may not want… Advice to Senior Management: Keep building a progressively improved environment to provide opportunities for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Wait!!! Are you certain you want to join ITS?

Sys Administrative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros: Decent yearly bonus. Good location where you can use public… Cons: Long weekend work and late nights. The standard week is 60 hours. High burnout. Clueless management. No training whatsoever Rude and unprofessional management Super high level of stress. Unhealthy… Advice to Senior Management: Hire professionals No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Public Consulting Group.

Worked for Public Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!