Public Consulting Group

www.publicconsultinggroup.com
  www.publicconsultinggroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group

The Opportunity is what you make it.

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with PCG now for more than ten years. I started at the bottom and made several moves through the company before reaching the position of Director. It wasn't easy. I had to work for it. PCG gave me many opportunities and each time I rose to the challenge. I didn't wait for them to hand things to me. I made my own path and was rewarded for it.

PCG is full of rewarding career opportunities. Each year the company takes a step forward. It evolves and learns from its mistakes. Have an idea to make things better? Stand up and be heard. They do listen.

Now you will hear that IT has struggled to keep pace with current technologies. And that was true. But things are really changing in this area. The staff has doubled and old staff members have been re-energized with the help of a new CIO and a major investment in infrastructure.

Cons

Communication of news and events within the company is sparce.

Invest in communication tools to increase collaboration within and across offices.

133 Other Employee Reviews for Public Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

A dreadful experience

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time

Pros

This firm is profitable despite its incompetent leadership, but the money stays at the top.

Cons

There are roughly 35 PCG offices and most of them operate as small companies, with no unity or collaboration. This is largely due to pathetic internal communication and a complete lack of collaborative resources. It is expected that employees work well beyond normal hours without additional compensation. This is not a 9 to 5 job, it’s more like 8 to 8. Work/Life balance at PCG is skewed toward burnout, which fits their trend of extremely high turnover for the industry. A former colleague and PCG HR recruiter acknowledged that Public Consulting Group’s pay scale is well below the industry average. The company is privately held and the principals are aging multi-millionaires. It has been rumored they will likely sell the firm and cash out soon. Most PCG employees would benefit from being bought out by a firm like Maximus or Accenture.

-Consultants are driven hard and must offload tasks to under qualified junior staff. Major bs’ing is routinely incorporated into last-minute PCG proposals.

-The marketing department is completely inept and regarded as a joke among consultants. One of the principals poses as a marketing director with no experience in business development or leadership, for that matter.

-Management berates and intimidates employees who don't work 50-60 hours per week.

-The IT department cannot keep pace with daily demands on their systems and the archaic state of email and network reliability is frustrating and costly. IT staff is competent for the most part, but management hasn't supported or funded their much needed infrastructure improvements.

-HR turns a blind eye to obvious recurring problems regarding favoritism, bullying and harassment, and only serves to protect PCG ownership from potential liabilities.

Any favorable reviews on this site can be ignored as an attempt by management to offset the factual, negative feedback that so many have provided. These are not complaints, but rather impassioned pleas to those considering working for this severely crippled company to stay away.

If you're considering working for Public Consulting Group, reconsider!

Sell your misguided company and retire. Let a reputable firm bring in true management professionals to take the helm and re-direct PCG away from its “sinking ship” status.

I wouldn't...

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time

Pros

If you work hard and have good ideas, you can kind of build out your own path. There's a lot going on, so you could potentially try out different projects. Pay is fair and bonus is decent -- though apparently less than other consulting work.

Cons

I'd echo many of the cons already posted here like:
    *No work/life balance
    *Significant issues with products
    *Tension between teams and offices, lots of game playing
    *Favoritism
    *Cliques and bullying (in at least one office)
    *High turnover --> training and re-training people
    *Take on projects without providing proper staffing --> overloading staff
    *Upper management not interested in solving problems just "quieting" them

I'd take a closer look at your technological systems and office culture.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group