Public Consulting Group

www.publicconsultinggroup.com
  www.publicconsultinggroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group

PCG has its issues but its not beyond saving.

Current Employee - Technical Specialist III
Current Employee - Technical Specialist III

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PCG has given me a lot of flexibility in where and how I work, in the projects I'm involved in. There's a lot going on, and if you've got motivation, and can politic a bit, you can get involved in a lot of different things.

Cons

Each dev house seems to be a silo. They don't communicate with one another, and different rules and standards apply to different offices. In Montreal, you have a Win7/whatever-the-latest-thing-from-microsoft house. In other dev offices, ITS limits hardware and software to windowsXP or 2003. There's no consistency.

Consultants drive the business, but often with unrealistic requirements/expectations, and without communication of a bigger picture. This leads to a lot of one-off solutions that are largely redundant.

There's no real communication from the top-down. The company expects you to tow the PCG line and have the cult-of-pcg mentality, but they don't inspire or encourage the way you have to in order to foster that environment.

There is no real communication from the top-donw.

Share the love. The company is profitable in spite of itself. Reward good people. Hire good people. Don't hate on individuals because they don't tow the line. Don't sideline people because of who they've been associated with. We've got a lot of people, and some of us have good ideas.

131 Other Employee Reviews for Public Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

High demands and Low contract bids = Overworked and unhappy people.

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You may have a lot of flexibility and independence
    Good and high performers will get generous bonuses
    Higher 401k matches than many of the big 4 ( if you can stick out the 4 year vesting req.)

Cons

There aren't many company methodologies to follow.
    Information sharing is poor. As a result, we are always recreating the wheel.
    Smaller to medium sized Projects are underbid and staff are over worked as a result.
    Internal Support (IT, HR) is very poor. Marketing is non existent.
    The promotion process is unclear .
    Salaries are not competitive.
    Work - life balance. What's that?

Many of to your "seasoned" managers are not qualified to lead. Pay more attention to what managers are doing Or not doing.
    Develop a fair way to promote and recognize staff that convert from the specialist track to the consulting track.
    Develop more overall firm standards. It's not a boutique firm anymore, there needs to be more structure.
    When staff get together from satellite offices we have equally low morale and we all complain about the same thing. Figure out how to refocus that into constructive conversations for real change.

Everything in life is what you make of it

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Spilt milk is spilt milk; the truth of the matter is change is painful. With that said, change would not be needed so desperately, if everything was honkey-dory. For various reasons (ca$h, $taffing, & hardware), ITS’ was never provided a fair shot, let alone an opportunity to shine.
    Simply put, people need to put on their big boy pants, because if you are unable to separate, emotions that come with changes in leadership, from the fact, that despite being a group of talented individuals, collectively ITS has consistently, under delivered. That is not to say that those in the past, did not know what they were doing, but peoples talents, & abilities were spread way to thin, and others had no talent or technical ability.

So now, with an opportunity for a fresh start, people are taking the new leadership to task for one sentence by the DIT? Who cares, if your pride was hurt, man up! Personally speaking, I would rather work for someone who has faith in their ability, and is hell bent on providing ITS with the ca$h, training, $taff, tool$ & hardware; to not only get the job done, but get the job done right.

I am so tired of grown men, acting like children. If you enjoyed working for the ITS, that underpaid you, did not give you the hardware to do your job, or the appropriate staffing, berated you for failing despite being set up to fail & completely lied to you while recruiting you, I have good news:
    Wal-Mart IS HIRING
    Things will be painful, people will have to commute instead of telecommute, but to me that’s just leadership 101, a bit of team build, and a bit of quantifying what each person brings to the team. Not every change is permanent, some changes are needed to get an idea of what is going on.

Obviously, the DIT doesn’t know 95% of everyone’s job, but in all honesty how many people who have sat down and talked tech with him, truly believe that he does not know at least 90% of most IT roles?
    And truthfully, from a professional stand point, to bash your teammates, or your department, or company on a public site is counterproductive. YOU ARE KILLING THE TALENT POOL FROM WHICH WE ARE RECRUITING IN!!!
    And not one person can say that hamstringing our ability to land qualified professionals, over their wounded pride petty feuds is going to help the department. Things are never ideal with a complete change in leadership, but anyone who has been here 3 or more years can vouch that any change is likely for the better.

Oh and by the way, I used more $ in these few lines than the old CIO did during his time here!

Cons

You are not reading this review for the CONS now are ya?

Try to understand a bit better that so many moving parts and changes have people a bit on edge, and IT Professionals are inherently prideful in their abilities and skill, and can be sensitive. Simple words can easily be misconstrued in what can be a demanding environment from time to time.

Change is fine, people will get used to it, try some more team building.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group