Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia

www.pdsdc.org
  www.pdsdc.org
There are newer employer reviews for Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia

Intern Investigator

Former Employee - Intern Investigator in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Intern Investigator in Washington, DC

I worked at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best experience I've had.

Like any job, what you get out of it depends on how much effort you put in. I put a lot of time into this work because 1) I cared about the clients; 2) I wanted to do something real; and 3) I loved the work. And it paid off for me. I walked out of the internship having taken statements on my own.

The internship really exposes you the the criminal defense sector. You are taking to clients and witnesses and going to crime scenes. You work closely with your attorney and can develop great relationships.

The key here is, if you are not proactive in asking for more work or coming up with new leads, you will likely do very little, like serving a subpoena or sitting next to your staff investigator while he/she interviews someone. Offer to take a statement, or offer to interview someone.

Also, if you are a driver, you really learn to get around DC. I learned to drive without a GPS by the end of the summer.

Cons

It's true that part of your experience depends on your attorney. But looking back, I think there's a lot you could do if you end up in a non-proactive position. First thing is advertise your skills and reach out to your intern supervisor (who's not an attorney) and offer your help. You can get on some pretty meaningful projects like this and I've done it before.

Also, talk to your attorney. It's okay to be bold. Just know that these guys have been there for years and are not there to massage your ego. Ask for more work, which is what I did.

There's no salary or anything for interns, but they do reimburse you for gas.

One thing to note. On the internship brochure it talks about a "typical day" where you're working around the clock, going to court rooms and taking statements. That's not typical. You get there maybe toward the end of your internship when you 1) prove yourself, and 2) actually have so many cases that are around the clock.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (View Most Recent)

An Educational experience

Current Employee - Juvenile Or Youth Worker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Juvenile Or Youth Worker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work for the Public Defender, to protect clients from convictions

Cons

Some down sides is when a client is faced with negotiate pleas

The Juveniles are showing up with charges. They know nothing about laws.

Summer law clerk

I worked at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia

Pros

General atmosphere of excellence. Impressively skilled attorneys.

Cons

None - great summer internship program.

Work at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia? Share Your Experiences

Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia