Public Health Ontario

www.oahpp.ca
  www.oahpp.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Public Health Ontario

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Public Health Ontario

Pros

A company focused on public health

Cons

there is always a struggle with navigating bburocracy

6 Other Employee Reviews for Public Health Ontario (View Most Recent)

Lab Assistant

I have been working at Public Health Ontario

Pros

Great work environment, organized interview process

Cons

low pay, no career growth

Good work life balance, but unsatisfying.

I worked at Public Health Ontario

Pros

In general, I found PHO a rather unproblematic place to work. Colleagues and managers were nice and appreciative, great social atmosphere, workload was usually quite manageable.

Cons

The organization is very hierarchical, and positions tend to demand a lot of education and previous experience for tasks that rarely, if ever, required that level of knowledge or expertise. I felt quite demoralized at times and often very underutilized. The sense I got was that PHO's work culture was divided between "experts" (primarily MDs and a few PhDs), and everyone else, who were intended to support them silently in the background. As a consequence, it's difficult to see your career going anywhere; I felt that there was very little chance of career advancement, and that the skills I did have were quickly decaying.

At a macro level, the organization seems to lack a vision and an identity - it was unclear to me why I was undertaking the projects that I was undertaking, what the overall goals of the organization were, and where PHO fits in amongst the other governmental health and public health care organizations in this province. It claims its role is to provide expert guidance and support, but I generally had no idea whom our stakeholders were and what we were contributing to the province of Ontario, beyond producing more research papers.

Figure out what your staff's strength and skills are and help them use these to the best of their abilities. Provide them with opportunities to learn and develop new skills, and try to create a culture where everyone feels enabled to contribute intellectually. Make sure staff are clear on the purpose and goals of the projects they are undertaking.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Health Ontario